Office of the Registrar runs catalog cover photo contest

0
0
exc-5e449cab95faad4401a29deb

For the second year in a row, the Office of the Registrar at the University of Connecticut will run a contest to select two student-submitted photos to be on the covers of the undergraduate and graduate student catalogs, Marc Hatfield, the assistant registrar in the curriculum services department, said.  

The Husky Statue, last years  undergraduate catalog  cover photo by Jack Baumgartel '21 (ENGR)

The Husky Statue, last years undergraduate catalog cover photo by Jack Baumgartel ’21 (ENGR)

“For years, the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog cover photos were chosen from the photo library maintained by University Communications,” Hatfield said. “Last year we thought that it would be more fun to use photos taken by UConn students. Given that the students are the whole reason we publish our catalogs in the first place, it seemed fitting to include them in the process.”  

According to the Registrar’s website, two winning entries will be chosen and will appear as the main home page image on both catalogs’ webpages, as well as appear on all printed copies of the catalogs.   

The photos will be picked by a panel of judges from the Registrar’s office, according to the website.  

“The photos are chosen by the curriculum services section of the Registrar’s office, the same team that maintains and publishes the catalogs each year,” Hatfield said.  

The Registrar’s website lists rules and guidelines regarding submission to the contest, including the deadline for submission, what can and cannot be seen in the photo and where the photo must be taken. 

Gampel Pavilion, last years’  graduate  catalog cover, taken by Asadul Hoque Tanvir '22 (ENGR)

Gampel Pavilion, last years’ graduate catalog cover, taken by Asadul Hoque Tanvir ’22 (ENGR)

“We encourage submissions that illustrate creativity or innovation or the beauty of the UConn campuses,” the website said.  

Last year’s winning submissions were photos of Gampel Pavilion and the Jonathan the Husky statue, seen on both the Graduate and Undergraduate Catalog webpages, respectively.   

“For years we had been using photos taken by professional photographers, but last year’s student photos are still among our all-time favorites,” Hatfield said. “We had a great pool of contestants last year. It took three rounds of voting to select the winners.”  

Students must fill out an entry form, located on the Registrar’s website, in order to submit a photo.  

“Our deadline this year is March 6, and we’re hoping that more students choose to submit,” Hatfield said. “Contest details and the entry form are available on the Registrar’s website.”  

Login with a NetID is required to limit the contest to current students. 

Amanda Kilyk is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at amanda.kilyk@uconn.edu.