Women’s Lacrosse Notebook: Watson scores six in season opener

0
0
exc-5e44c96195faad4401ac6653

The UConn women’s lacrosse team started off its season with an explosive 19-12 victory at home on Wednesday. They were led by midfielder Sydney Watson, who had six goals in the victory.  Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s lacrosse team started off its season with an explosive 19-12 victory at home on Wednesday. They were led by midfielder Sydney Watson, who had six goals in the victory. Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

The women’s lacrosse team started off its season with an explosive 19-12 victory at home on Wednesday. Most of the goals came from junior midfielder Sydney Watson, who scored six out of the 19 with only 10 shots taken. 

“I wouldn’t have gotten [six goals] if it weren’t for any of my teammates,” Watson said. “I just want to make sure I can set everyone up for success and when they set me up for success, I want to be able to finish it for them.” 

Watson wasn’t the only player with a big contribution from last night’s match. Senior midfielder Olivia Miles had the second most goals: four with only six shots taken. 

Since the team is filled with younger players, Watson said the team’s mentality is “completely different” compared to last season. 

“All fall, we had such high energy and positivity, and I believe our captains and our seniors have really brought that energy for us and all of us are able to follow along with them,” Watson said. “Everyone on this team wants to win, wants to keep the energy high, and it’s just really great this year.” 

With their second match of the season coming up on Sunday against James Madison on the road, the Huskies will look to bring high energy going in and out of the game regardless of the scoreboard. 

“We know James Madison in the past has been really good,” Watson said. “This year we want to … bring it and hopefully give them a good competition.” 

It’s clear that Watson will be a key player once more this season and for good reason. She was unanimously selected for the AAC Preseason All-Conference Team after having 39 goals to her name along with 51 points and 92 draw controls last season. 

Watson scored her first hat trick of the season within the first half: The first being at the 16th minute to bring the Huskies up 5-3, the second about 30 seconds later with junior attacker Stephanie Palmucci for the assist, and the third about a minute later after she was given a free position shot and brought the Huskies up to 7-3. Watson scored her fourth about three minutes into the second half and her fifth shortly after with sophomore Casey O’Grady providing the assist. Watson’s last goal of the match came at the 40th minute. 

David Sandoval is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at david.sandoval@uconn.edu. He tweets @sandovalduconn.