Great gifts galore

0
2
exc-5e460f6823a45f2b1bfb9652

Creating a gift for someone special in your life is a great way to show them you care without having to buy one, and it doesn’t have to be very complicated.  Illustration by Kaitlyn Tran.

Creating a gift for someone special in your life is a great way to show them you care without having to buy one, and it doesn’t have to be very complicated. Illustration by Kaitlyn Tran.

During the holiday season, the most popular day for buying gifts is the weekend before Christmas, which is indicative of society’s inclination to wait until the last second for gifts. In a similar vein, if you’re reading this article, you may have not conjured up a gift for your loved one, but still want to show them your love in a tangible way. This is completely understandable, as I’m sure you understand each other’s busy schedules. However, just because something is last-minute doesn’t mean it has to be any less special or sentimental – it’s the thought that counts, which can materialize into a great gift if you’re willing to put in some effort for a creative offering. Here are some easy and creative Valentine’s Day gifts that anyone would be happy to receive. 

Couple’s Bucket List 

You might have seen those gifts that include date ideas or things you love about your significant other. This idea is a spin-off, with a collective “bucket list” of things you want to try out. The customizability of this gift can help you and your significant other try new things out, like a paint night, or inspire you to do something you said you wanted to do together, like spend a day in the city. If you are more artistic, this might be fun to do with scrapbook paper slips in a jar, or popsicle sticks. If not, just typing the ideas up on a nice piece of paper with accompanying gifts like chocolate or flowers would be nice too. 

Shutterfly Gifts 

The bevy of personalized items you can order from Shutterfly has expanded beyond calendars and photo albums. It may not seem creative, but if you cater what you choose for what your partner likes, they will appreciate the thought you put into it. Although it may be a little late for today, you can still order something online and show your significant other that a gift is on the way, or keep the option in mind for future occasions. If you browse their full catalog of items, you’ll be able to find something that would definitely appeal to your partner. Some cool items include keychains, wine glasses, puzzles, blankets and socks. 

Tickets or vouchers for experiences 

From concerts to musicals to museums, there are a bunch of fun places you can visit with your partner that they’ve probably expressed an interest in. Because of how easy and quick it is nowadays to purchase tickets online, this is a great last-minute, almost no effort idea. So if you’re willing to put a little more money in, this is a great way to pay forward for a future date, to have something to look forward to and to show your significant other that you’re paying attention when they mention they want to go visit the Met. 

Care package 

Head to any grocery or food retailer, and you can scrape together a personalized and easy gift. Grab a wicker basket for some old-school vibes and toss in items that your partner likes, from snacks to drinks to desserts to even books. You can even choose a theme, like relaxation, and pool together candles, essential oils and face masks. I don’t know about you, but I really enjoy receiving a lot of little things, and it’s great to receive something you know you will use. If you’re feeling crafty, you can decorate the basket with lights or a tablecloth, and your partner can use the items in the future. 

Hollie Lao is a staff writer and the social media manager for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.