UConn raises almost $300,000 on Day of Strength 

0
0
exc-5e4615f83331b018a8d31fa7

HuskyTHON participants last year interact with a young hero. This year’s Day of Strength, a campaign to raise funds for Connecticut Children's Medical Center in 24 hours, broke records and surpassed goals.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

HuskyTHON participants last year interact with a young hero. This year’s Day of Strength, a campaign to raise funds for Connecticut Children’s Medical Center in 24 hours, broke records and surpassed goals. File Photo/The Daily Campus

Far exceeding the goal of $170,000, the University of Connecticut raised a record-breaking $291,630.79 on Day of Strength 2020, HuskyTHON 2020 Vice President of Communications Marisa Nazzaro said, “blowing all expectations out of the water.” 

Day of Strength represents using the 24 hours you have to brighten someone’s tomorrow, Nazzaro said.   

“Day of Strength 2020 was unbelievably successful in comparison to our past years,” Nazzaro said. “Day of Strength raised $158,133 in 2018, which is the first year HuskyTHON’s total surpassed $1 million. Last year, in 2019, Day of Strength raised $183,066.70. This year, we made the incredible jump of over $100,000, which is an unbelievable success for the HuskyTHON community and speaks to the inspiring dedication, passion, and ‘All In For The Kids’ nature of our participants.”  

Nazzaro said part of the success can be attributed to a partnership with Foxwoods Resort Casino, where all donations were matched during certain hours of the day, called Day of Strength Power Hours. 

According to Nazzaro, top fundraisers for the day were Emma Kryzanski (Executive Director of HuskyTHON 2020) at $3,555; Madison Chiulli (Morale Captain) at $2,810; and Sarah Schatz (Morale Captain) at $2,630. 

Top team fundraisers were Delta Sigma Pi at $14,435, Delta Zeta at $11,759, and Kappa Alpha Theta at $8,818. 

Sixth-semester accounting major Kayla Sinkevitch participated in the Day of Strength and was more than pleased with the outcome. 

“I’m so proud to have been a part of yesterday’s historic fundraising efforts,” Sinkevitch said.  “It’s amazing to see how many creative ways people can fundraise for this amazing cause. I’m beyond excited to see all of our hard work pay off next weekend when we get to see the kids and the grand total.” 

According to Nazzaro, the 2020 campaign theme is “Brighten Tomorrow.”  Given the meaning behind the Day of Strength, Nazzaro said she hopes the efforts brighten the tomorrows of all the patients at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center. 

“With nearly one week left until HuskyTHON 2020, we can’t wait to see how many more tomorrows our participants will continue to brighten,” Nazzaro said.

Luke Hajdasz is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu