Women’s Hockey Recap: Huskies split series versus Merrimack on Senior Weekend 

0
0
exc-5e49f5d13c65953c68e51132

The Huskies defeat the Merrimack Warriors 6-1 Friday evening at UConn. Junior Savannah Bouzide scored UConn's first goal on a power play.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus.

The Huskies defeat the Merrimack Warriors 6-1 Friday evening at UConn. Junior Savannah Bouzide scored UConn’s first goal on a power play. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus.

This weekend, which was Senior Weekend at the Freitas Ice Forum, the women split a two-game series against their Hockey East rival Merrimack. They earned a 6-1 victory on Friday but dropped Saturday’s game 2-1.  

Friday night’s contest saw the Huskies (16-14-2, 13-10-2 Hockey East) dominate the Warriors (5-22-5, 2-18-5 Hockey East) for the majority of the game. Merrimack struck first though, as  Mikyla Grant-Mentis ripped a shot top-shelf over UConn goalie Morgan Fisher at 4:34 of the first period to take the 1-0 lead. From there, the Huskies locked in defensively and scored six consecutive goals to win the game 6-1.  

UConn graduate student Jessie Aney scored her first goal as a Husky at 6:35 of the second period after she forced a turnover at the Merrimack blueline to put her team up 2-1. The goal ended up being the game-winner. Head coach Chris MacKenzie said that seeing Aney get rewarded for her efforts made him “very happy.” “That was a huge goal for us,” he said.  

Late in the third period, UConn forward Natalie Snodgrass scored her second goal of the night on a pass from senior captain Briana Colangelo to put the Huskies up 6-1. The assist was Colangelo’s 100th career-point, putting her fourth all-time in points at UConn. After the game, Snodgrass said she was just excited to help her teammate reach that milestone. “I was very excited for her. I really didn’t care about the goal; I knew it was the 100 points that really mattered,” she said.  

The Huskies lost their second game of the weekend against Merrimack but still won the season series 2-1. Their next match will come next weekend when they head to Massachusetts to face University.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus.

The Huskies lost their second game of the weekend against Merrimack but still won the season series 2-1. Their next match will come next weekend when they head to Massachusetts to face University. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus.

In addition to Snodgrass and Aney, sophomore Danielle Fox, junior Savannah Bouzide and senior Catherine Crawley each potted goals. Meanwhile, Fisher stopped 18 of the 19 shots she faced to collect her ninth win of the season.  

After a compelling win on Friday, the Huskies dropped Saturday afternoon’s rematch 2-1. The two clubs battled through a scoreless first period before Merrimack’s Chloe Cook scored 11:18 into the second. After Merrimack scored again, Snodgrass knocked in a rebound for her 14th goal of the year to make it 2-1, but that would be the final score.  

MacKenzie said his team “played a pretty solid game,” but failed to solve Merrimack’s goalie Lea-Kristine Demers. “We created a whole bunch of chances but you’re gonna have to score. Their goalie came in big,” he said.  

Next Friday the Huskies travel to Massachusetts for a pair of games against Boston University in the final weekend of the regular season. 

Ben Berg is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ben.berg@uconn.edu. He tweets @bergywergy3030.