Chocolate recipes for all the truffles in that heart-shaped box

0
0
exc-5e4c90dc2272ae02fa321776

If you were lucky enough to receive some candy this Valentine’s Day and haven’t eaten it all yet, consider adding it into a yummy dessert recipe. Whether you have chocolate truffles, Hershey’s Kisses or just a bag of M&M’s, these chocolate recipes will use up your candy to make another sweet treat that you can share with friends (or maybe just keep for yourself).  

Microwave Chocolate Lava Cake

Lava cake made easy. You only need a microwave and a few ingredients.  Photo by    Jennifer Schmidt    on    Unsplash

Lava cake made easy. You only need a microwave and a few ingredients. Photo by Jennifer Schmidt on Unsplash

The best part of this recipe is that you can simply place a full chocolate truffle into the batter — no chopping or melting required — and then the cake just cooks in the microwave! Try this recipe with caramel truffles, white chocolate truffles or strawberry cream truffles to change it up. 

1/4 cup flour 

1 teaspoon baking powder 

2 tablespoons sugar 

2 tablespoons cocoa powder 

1/8 teaspoon salt 

2 tablespoons oil 

2 tablespoons milk 

1 chocolate truffle 

Ice cream or whipped cream for topping 

Mix together first five ingredients in a bowl. Mix in oil and milk. Pour into a microwave-safe bowl or ramekin. Place a chocolate truffle in the middle and press it into the batter. Microwave for 70 seconds. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.  

Love and Kisses Cookies

If your Valentine’s Day was filled with (chocolate) kisses, this the perfect treat for you to make. Nothing could be better than a chocolate cookie topped with a chocolate kiss.  

12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips  

Top your cookies with a Hersey’s Kiss for that extra touch.  Photo by    Madison Kaminski    on    Unsplash

Top your cookies with a Hersey’s Kiss for that extra touch. Photo by Madison Kaminski on Unsplash

1 cup packed brown sugar 

1 cup granulated sugar 

1 stick (8 tablespoons) of butter, softened 

3 eggs 

1 tablespoon vanilla extract 

2 cups flour 

1/2 cup cocoa powder 

1 teaspoon baking powder 

1/2 teaspoon salt  

2 cups red sprinkles 

18 Hershey’s Kisses 

Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Mix both sugars, butter and cooled chocolate with a mixer. Add eggs and vanilla. Scrape sides of bowl and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients gradually to the chocolate mixture and mix until just combined. Roll dough into balls then roll balls in the red sprinkles and place on baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Press a Kiss into each cookie while it is still warm.  

Chocolate Pretzels

An alternative to chocolate-covered pretzels, this dessert is quick and simple to prepare with less mess. Use different kinds of Hershey’s Kisses and top it with M&M’s, Reese’s pieces, chopped nuts or leftover conversation hearts to make it your own. 

Chocolate and pretzels are the perfect pairing. This recipe is simple and you can add other toppings to decorate.  Photo by    Jasmine Waheed    on    Unsplash

Chocolate and pretzels are the perfect pairing. This recipe is simple and you can add other toppings to decorate. Photo by Jasmine Waheed on Unsplash

24 square pretzels 

24 Hershey’s Kisses 

24 M&M’s or other small candy 

Place pretzels on baking sheet. Unwrap Kisses and place one on top of each pretzel. Bake in a 350-degree oven until chocolate is softened. Remove from oven and press an M&M or other small candy into each Kiss.  

Valentine’s Chocolate Bark

This recipe uses what you already have on hand. If you have solid chocolate or any other sort of candy, this is a great way to use it up.  

Chocolate bark is an easy way to use up your leftover chocolate and turn them into a brand new sweet treat.  Photo courtesy of    simplegraytshirt.com

Chocolate bark is an easy way to use up your leftover chocolate and turn them into a brand new sweet treat. Photo courtesy of simplegraytshirt.com

4 ounces white chocolate 

8 ounces semisweet chocolate  

Candies for topping 

Melt semisweet chocolate in microwave. Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Melt white chocolate in microwave. Use a spatula to drizzle white chocolate over semisweet chocolate. Use a toothpick to swirl the white chocolate into the semisweet and create designs. Top with conversation hearts, M&Ms, sprinkles, chopped pretzels and any other leftover candy you have. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and then break into pieces.  

Stephanie Santillo is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.santillo@uconn.edu.