New York Fashion Week 2020: Setting up next season’s styles

0
0
exc-5e4c8babd1d8b000df42777a

New York Fashion Week was held last week with anticipated styles. This year’s Fall/Winter 2020 NYFW will combine Men’s Fashion Week into its shows to showcase a variety of non-gendered clothing.  Photo courtesy of    departures.com

New York Fashion Week was held last week with anticipated styles. This year’s Fall/Winter 2020 NYFW will combine Men’s Fashion Week into its shows to showcase a variety of non-gendered clothing. Photo courtesy of departures.com

Last week was one of the most anticipated in the world of style: New York Fashion Week (NYFW). With a tight schedule packed with runway shows from the hottest names in fashion, like Marc Jacobs, to up and coming designers, the event features months of hard work that often foretell the latest trends. Like last year, NYFW for Fall/Winter 2020 will combine Men’s Fashion Week into its shows, to accommodate the growing inclusion of non-gendered clothing. Although there is still a long way to go in the industry, the growing body-size and racial diversity in models and clothing types in some of the shows demonstrated an understanding of consumers’ desire for more inclusivity. Last week had a lot to offer, so here are some things to look out for if you maybe weren’t able to travel to the city yourself. 

Comfy and cozy 

Jonathan Simhkai’s collection. Photos courtesy of vogue.com

The use of knits and sweaters in various shows featured versatile looks from sexy to oversized. A knit bra and grandma cardigan in beige shades were made cool with black street pants in Jonathan Simhkai’s collection. Longchamp made the trend old-school with a chunky blue and yellow-toned turtleneck paired with a ‘50s style floor-length skirt, which also called attention to the growing trend of mixing patterns. In that case, the more bold and blocked pattern of the sweater paired well with the tones of the busier skirt. 

In another use of knitwear, several designers repurposed scarves for their looks. Michael Kors featured full-on capes of the material, while Gabriela Hearst showcased a colorful poncho reminiscent of a handmade rug (in a good way). Priscavera made the look a little skimpier by arranging the scarf around the model’s body as the whole outfit. 

The bigger, the better 

Prabal Gurung’s collection. Photos courtesy of vogue.com

Larger and bulkier silhouettes on the top or bottom of some outfits made some equally big waves in shows last week. Caroline Herrera utilized an oversized ruffle like you would normally see at the bottom of a dress as the whole dress itself, with a fun, posh print to keep the focus on the shape. The cloudlike epaulets on one of the tops in Prabal Gurung’s collection reminded me of Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls in a good way, and the superhero-like silhouette of the outfit also goes with that relation. This shifting trend is similar to the oversized looks of popularizing streetwear, which is a way you can incorporate it into your wardrobe. Oversized outerwear, such as jean or leather jackets or cardigans are another feasible way. 

Going green 

Fashion designer Gabriela Hearst’s “Repurpose with Purpose” centered on sustainability.  Photo courtesy of    marieclaire.com

Fashion designer Gabriela Hearst’s “Repurpose with Purpose” centered on sustainability. Photo courtesy of marieclaire.com

The fashion industry is also one of the most wasteful, and the growing movement against climate change is also informing designers. Gabriela Hearst’s “Repurpose with Purpose” centered on sustainability, with the runway backdrop of shredded bales of paper from a recycling center in Brooklyn, and her collection reusing existing textiles and materials. Antique Turkish rugs, recycled cashmere yarn and previous seasons’ pieces were all fodder for her Fall/Winter 2020 collection. 

Another take on going green was many designers’ use of the color. From Jason Wu’s lime green ruffle dress to the monochromatic neutral green menswear look from Brandon Maxwell, green is looking to appear in more stores over the next few months.  

Prep school pretty 

From the various blazer-based looks from Phillip Lim and Christopher John Rogers to the plaid pieces from Rag & Bone and Michael Kors, both the patterns and shapes of school uniforms are being repurposed in stylish and chic ways. Whether you choose one part of your outfit to be the centerpiece of plaid, like with a skirt or blazer, or be dressed head to toe in the pattern, you can incorporate the trend into your outfit. A menswear look with an oversized blazer or a boarding school twist — à la Gossip Girl with a matching headband are fun ideas. 

Hollie Lao is a staff writer and the social media manager for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.