League of Legends recap

0
0
exc-5e4cbc7552fddc1ff43bbb91

A group of Brazilian League of Legends players compete in the Campeonato League of Legends tournament.  Photo courtesy of Willian Alves via Flickr

A group of Brazilian League of Legends players compete in the Campeonato League of Legends tournament. Photo courtesy of Willian Alves via Flickr

T1 bounces back in LCK Week 2 

After a shaky 1-1 start to the season, reigning League of Legends Champions Korea (LCK) champions T1 quieted most of their doubters in Week 2. A dominant victory over KT Rolster and a solid 2-1 win over Gen.G, a team currently tied for No. 2, helped T1 reclaim their status as a top team. However, questionable drafts still leave question marks over the team’s potential.  

Cloud9 continue their Domination over the LCS 

There is no longer any question that Cloud9 is the best team in North America. They dominated TSM in a brutal 27-minute game on Saturday during which ADC Zven picked up six kills and six assists with no deaths. His reign with support Vulcan, who was 0-0-11 on Saturday, faltered in Monday’s game, during which Zven died for the second time this season, but Cloud9 still claimed a dominant win over Evil Geniuses.  

Cloud9’s strength as a team was on display in their game versus EG. Top laner Licorice dominated Cloud9’s old academy top laner Kumo, and mid laner Nisqy crushed fellow EU mid Jizuke on his Cassiopeia, finishing with an 8-1-7 kda.  

G2’s fall 

It might be somewhat presumptuous to say that G2 has fallen. They’re still near the top of the standings in Europe, still last year’s second place team at Worlds, still the back-to-back LEC champions. But this week, G2 showed that they are also mortal. They faltered horribly in their game against Misfits as mid laner turned ADC Caps had 7 deaths in the first 15 minutes of the game and ended the game 0-9-4. But despite their loss, it wasn’t a bad game from the rest of G2, ignoring top laner Wunder’s ill-advised Sona pick.  

It was their second game of the week, this time against Schalke 04. Schalke was 0-7 before the game against G2 on Saturday. They had just gotten through a tough controversy as ADC Forg1ven benched himself earlier in the week, prompting them to promote academy ADC Innaxe to the main roster. Despite this, Schalke fought their way to a victory. They refused to cave to G2’s split pushes and base races and matched them blow for blow, claiming victory in just over 40 minutes.  

Much of G2s ranking will depend on their performance this week, as they face two bottom-tier teams in Vitality and Excel. Anything less than a 2-0 week will likely mark the end of G2 as the undisputed kings of Europe.  

Ashton Stansel is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ashton.stansel@uconn.edu.