In Case You Missed It: What happened this week beyond UConn

0
0

George Zimmerman 

George Zimmerman official mugshot, from the Orange County Jail, in Florida. Zimmerman fatally shot 17-year-old black teenager Travyon Martin

The man who fatally shot 17-year-old black teenager Travyon Martin in 2012 has filed a lawsuit against presidential candidates Pete Buttgieg and Elizabeth Warren, according to Fox News. George Zimmerman, who was acquited on murder charges in 2013 after citing self-defense, is suing the candidates for $265 million after he claimed they defamed him in an attempt to “garner votes in the black community.” The lawsuit, which was filed in Polk County, Florida, claims two separate tweets each candidate wrote on what would have been Martin’s 25th birthday were attempts to “falsely brand Zimmerman as a white supremacist and racist to their millions of Twitter followers.” Both Buttgieg and Warren had tweeted in honor of Martin and advocated for the end to racism and white supremacy. Zimmerman’s attorney, Larry Klayman, later said in a statement, “Their despicable ‘race tactics’ are not only causing great harm to persons such as my client George Zimmerman but also are damaging relations between black and white Americans who are all brothers.”  

Pop Smoke Death 

This aerial photo taken from video provided by Fox11 News KTTV-TV shows the Hollywood Hills home, center, where Pop Smoke, 20, was shot and killed early Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2020, in Los Angeles. Republic Records says in a statement that the label is devastated by the unexpected and tragic loss of the rapper. The shooting occurred before dawn Wednesday. Public listings show that the home which is a rental is owned by Edwin Arroyave and his wife Teddi Mellencamp, daughter of singer John Mellencamp and star of "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills." (Fox11 News KTTV-TV via AP)

This aerial photo taken from video provided by Fox11 News KTTV-TV shows the Hollywood Hills home, center, where Pop Smoke, 20, was shot and killed early Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2020, in Los Angeles. Republic Records says in a statement that the label is devastated by the unexpected and tragic loss of the rapper. The shooting occurred before dawn Wednesday. Public listings show that the home which is a rental is owned by Edwin Arroyave and his wife Teddi Mellencamp, daughter of singer John Mellencamp and star of “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.” (Fox11 News KTTV-TV via AP)

20-year-old up-and-coming rapper Pop Smoke was fatally shot in his Hollywood Hills home on Wednesday morning, according to the Los Angeles Times. Officers arrived at Pop Smoke’s house after receiving a report from a person on the East Coast that several men entered the rapper’s home early Wednesday, at least one of whom had a handgun. The rapper, whose birth name is Bashar Barakah Jackson, was taken to the hospital after suffering several gunshot wounds, and he was pronounced dead shortly thereafter. Officers questioned and later released several individuals who were inside the house, while four others fled the scene before police could reach them. Pop Smoke was renting the home, which is owned by Teddi Mellencamp of “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.” The investigation into his death is ongoing.  

Kaitlin Bennett Incident  

Kaitlin Bennettis an an American gun rights advocate, anti-abortion activist, and social media personality. Photo by  Benjamin Chelnitsky

Kaitlin Bennettis an an American gun rights advocate, anti-abortion activist, and social media personality. Photo by Benjamin Chelnitsky

The Kent State University graduate and conservative pundit who made headlines after she posed for her graduation photos with an AR-10 back in 2018 clashed with student protestors at Ohio University after she showed up unannounced on campus on Monday, according to Fox News.  Bennett claimed the event became a “riot” after sharing a video of a crowd yelling at her and someone appearing to throw a cup of water inside the truck her and her crew were in. She later called on President Trump to strip the university of its funding for harboring “terrorists” and claimed the police “let it all happen.” Ohio University police later released a statement, confirming “an activist appeared unexpectedly on the Ohio University campus in Athens and engaged in constitutionally protected activity.” They later wrote, “contrary to allegations circulating on social media, the incident did not rise to a level of riot. There was strong language and allegations that some unknown persons in the crowd splashed water, but there were no reported injuries or violence, and no one was arrested during the event.” Bennett later vowed to return to Ohio University with “an army of gun owners.”  

Missing College Student Found Dead 

A woman found dead in central Georgia has been identified as Anitra Gunn, a college student in the area who went missing on Valentine’s Day, according to CNN. Her body was recovered Tuesday night near the Peach and Crawford county line. Her car was found on Saturday with a torn bumper near her apartment, and the bumper was found near her body, approximately 150 yards off of the road. On Tuesday, police arrested Gunn’s boyfriend, 23-year-old DeMarcus Little, on separate charges for criminal damage to a property belonging to Gunn on Feb. 5. He has been identified as a person of interest in Gunn’s death, but no charges have yet been filed. Fort Valley State University, where Gunn was a senior studying agriculture, released a statement on Wednesday, writing, “We, like many of you, are deeply saddened by these reports. We ask for the public’s continued thoughts and prayers for her family, friends and other loved ones.” 

Ryan Newman Accident 

Ryan Newman at Kentucky Speedway in 2016 Photo by Zach Catanzareti.

42-year-old Ryan Newman, a NASCAR driver who was seriously injured after a fiery crash at the Daytona 500 on Monday, was released from the hospital on Wednesday morning, according to ABC News. His racing team, Roush Fenway, shared an image of Newman holding hands with his daughters as he left Halifax Medical Center on Wednesday. His team assured Newman will be making a full recovery, writing, “True to his jovial nature, he has also been joking around with staff, friends and family while spending time playing with his two daughters.” Newman was leading Monday’s race when he skidded out of control, slammed into a wall and flipped over. His car later caught fire while upside down, but he was removed and treated at the hospital.