Student survey may lead to general education changes

0
0

Office of the Registrar in Wilbur Cross. The office of the registrar determines some of the UConn Gen-Ed’s.  File Photo/Daily Campus

Office of the Registrar in Wilbur Cross. The office of the registrar determines some of the UConn Gen-Ed’s. File Photo/Daily Campus

In 2017, the ΔGenEd task force formed in order to look into re-vamping the general education curriculum at the University of Connecticut, and their final findings were compiled into a report sent to the University Senate last spring.   

According to the Executive Summary of ΔGenEd’s report, the current structure featuring the four content areas (arts and humanities, social sciences, science and technologies and diversity and multiculturalism) is more than 30 years old.  

The task force focused on three main questions when looking into the curriculum: “What problems need to be solved?,” “How can the curriculum be modernized?” and “How can changes help to generate a sense of purpose and excitement?”   

In the report, ΔGenEd proposes to change the content areas to a system of topics of inquiry (TOI), moving to six groupings instead of four. The topics of interest include scientific theory and empiricism; design, innovation and creativity; individuals and institutions; environmental literacy; cultural foundations; and diversity, equity and social justice. 

The move from content areas to topics of inquiry will not go into effect for a few years, and because of the ability to double-dip in these categories, the total credit requirement for gen-eds will not be affected at all. 

The USG Academic Affairs committee has released a general education feedback survey for all students to communicate their opinions on the current and possible future situation for gen-eds.  

“We know that students are very passionate and concerned about the general education requirements as it affects all students, so we hope to compile all of the feedback we get from the survey and present it to the ΔGenEd Committee,” Michael Zhu, a committee member, said. 

For direct access to the survey, the committee has provided a QR code to access the survey. ΔGenEd’s report is linked on the survey page, as well as the link to the General Education Oversight Committee’s website. 

Sam Zelin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sam.zelin@uconn.edu.