Preview: New England Latinx Student Leadership Conference

0
1

View this post on Instagram

We are now on instagram!

A post shared by PRLACC UConn (@prlacc) on

The National Student Affairs Administration in Higher Education (NASPA – region 1) is hosting the annual New England Latinx Student Leadership Conference at UConn on March 27 and 28. 

In partnership with NASPA, students from the Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural Center (PRLACC) have organized for Faustina Cueva, assistant director at Northeastern University’s Social Justice Resource Center, to be the keynote speaker this year.  

The three areas of focus for this year’s conference are community, diversity and self-empowerment, according to the PRLACC page.  

“The purpose is to really empower Latinx students and make sure they have the tools to go further beyond college and use their cultural wealth to have more networking opportunities,” said Valeria Popolizio, an eighth-semester political science and human rights double major with a minor in Latino studies.   

The conference is open to all UConn students and a select number of students from the New England area who register to attend. Different events will be located throughout campus, but the main workshops are in the Rome Ballroom.  

“There [Rome Ballroom] we are hosting our corporate sponsor hour, where students can treat it like an involvement fair with the departments and corporations that sponsored us all there,” Popolizio said.  

Naiela Suleiman is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at naiela.suleiman@uconn.edu