Baseball: Huskies and Wolverines rematch down south

0
0
exc-5e4f33183852d848ffdb33c4

UConn and Michigan will meet up down in Port St. Lucie, Fla. for a three-game series spanning from Friday through Sunday. Last Sunday, UConn beat the then-No. 8 Wolverines 7-1 in Arizona. 

More like Mich-again, am I right? 

The UConn Huskies beat the University of Memphis 4 - 2, Sunday, at J. O. Christian Field. UConn had a double steal in the eighth inning, a risky move that put them in the position to take back the lead and finish off the game leading by two.  Photos by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

The UConn Huskies beat the University of Memphis 4 – 2, Sunday, at J. O. Christian Field. UConn had a double steal in the eighth inning, a risky move that put them in the position to take back the lead and finish off the game leading by two. Photos by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

Despite coming out of last weekend with a win over a ranked team, UConn (1-2) lost the other two games and committed a whopping 10 errors through the weekend. The one run that they surrendered to Michigan (now No. 1) was unearned in Nick Krauth’s five-strikeout performance. 

“We’re just not catching the ball. It’s popping out, and when we do get a glove on it, it seems to go 30 feet in the wrong direction and the guy gets another base,” head coach Jim Penders said last weekend. 

The bats were quiet in UConn’s two losses, mustering just one total run. But Sunday against Michigan, they came alive. 

The Huskies put seven runs up on the first four pitchers the Wolverines trotted out, with Christian Fedko and Reggie Crawford bringing the lumber. Fedko went 3-for-4 with an RBI, and Crawford went 2-for-4 raking in five RBIs. 

The middle of UConn’s lineup is where they can hurt you, but centerfielder Chris Winkel has had a less-than-inspiring start to the season. He went a combined 0-for-11 with one walk, striking out six times. 

The Huskies are expected to throw three righties against Michigan, starting with Joe Simeone, Colby Dunlop and Krauth each of the three days, respectively. 

Simone took the L going four innings last weekend against Cal Poly, but pitched pretty well. He struck out six, gave up three hits and walked two, but neither of the two runs he allowed were earned. Those pesky errors put free runs up on the board for Cal Poly. 

In Dunlop’s start versus No. 1 Vanderbilt, he went five innings, surrendering six hits and one walk, resulting in one earned run. He also struck out four and secured a no decision.  

The top of the Wolverines’ lineup has been dangerous through their first four games of the season. Leadoff batter and centerfielder Jordan Nwogu, followed in the lineup by shortstop Jack Blomgren, are a combined 14-for-33 with three walks and three stolen bases. However, they haven’t batted any runs in and have scored just four times themselves. 

Keeping this duo off base, along with fixing their fielding woes, will be the primary focuses for the Huskies this weekend. 

Friday and Saturday’s games will begin at 2 p.m. and Sunday’s game will start at 11 a.m. 

Sean Janos is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu. He tweets @seanjanos.