Men’s Hockey: Huskies getting ready for a dogfight

0
1
exc-5e4f3b7bba1e4c4c5b239410

After taking a pair of points from No. 17 Maine last weekend, the UConn men’s hockey team has a challenge again Friday and Saturday. They will take on Boston University in a home-and-home series. 

UConn beats UNH 7-4 in the Xl Center Saturday afternoon. Alexander Payusov and Jachym Kondelik each scored two goals, leading the Huskies to decisively win both games against the Wildcats.  Photos by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

UConn beats UNH 7-4 in the Xl Center Saturday afternoon. Alexander Payusov and Jachym Kondelik each scored two goals, leading the Huskies to decisively win both games against the Wildcats. Photos by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

UConn (12-13-4, 9-8-2 Hockey East) is tasked with a Boston University (12-9-8, 9-5-5 Hockey East) team full of NHL talents, 12 to be exact.  

The Terriers have had a potent offense this season, averaging 3.2 goals per game in their 29 contests. They have secured 23 points in the conference, with five games to go. Their powerplay has been dominant. Across 106 chances this year, they have converted on 23.6% of them, which is the second-best in the conference and 13th best in the nation.  

The Huskies could potentially do some damage on face-offs, though, as the Terriers have won just 46% of them this year. UConn has won 50.6% as a team and captain Ben Freeman, their main face-off taker, has won them at a 57% clip. 

Defensively, BU has struggled this year, allowing 2.8 goals per game, which is just a tick below UConn’s 2.9 goals per game marker. They have also allowed 30.1 shots per game, so UConn should have some offensive potential this weekend.  

Looking at individual players, BU has some scary ones. Junior David Farrance and seniors Patrick Harper and Patrick Curry have provided the bulk of the offense for them.  

Farrance has been a point machine for the Terriers, with 37 on the year. He is tied for fourth in the nation in points overall, having scored 14 goals and bagging 23 assists.  

The Huskies could potentially do some damage on face-offs, though, as the Terriers have won just 46% of them this year.

Harper is right behind him, with 13 goals and 22 assists on the season. He also leads the team in plus-minus, alongside Curry, with a plus-13. The senior has a .241 shooting percentage, miles above everyone else on the team, having scored 13 goals on 54 shots.  

Curry leads the team in scoring, with 16 goals, and has added 11 assists on top of that.  

UConn also kicks off the weekend at home, so they have a chance to create a strong base performance to take into Saturday in Boston. UConn is 6-6-2 at home this season, compared to 6-5-1 away, but they beat BU at home in overtime 3-2 around this time last year. 

UConn also took a 3-2 loss in Northern Ireland against BU last season as well as a 2-0 loss to them in Boston. 

Look for them to put up a fight this weekend, it should be a good series for them considering their recent success against Maine and New Hampshire, who they swept the series prior.  

Friday’s game kicks off at 7:05 p.m. at the XL Center in Hartford and Saturday’s starts at 7 p.m. in Boston. Saturday’s game will also be streamed live on NESN.  

Mike Mavredakis  is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu and tweets @MMavredakis.