HomeSportsWomen’s Lacrosse Recap: Huskies grab back-to-back wins 

Women’s Lacrosse Recap: Huskies grab back-to-back wins 

UConn women’s lacrosse won both of their games this weekend, beating UMass Lowell Friday before earning the weekend sweep with a 21-8 win over UNH Sunday.  Photo by Avery Bikerman/The Daily Campus.

UConn women’s lacrosse won both of their games this weekend, beating UMass Lowell Friday before earning the weekend sweep with a 21-8 win over UNH Sunday. Photo by Avery Bikerman/The Daily Campus.

The UConn women’s lacrosse began its two-game win streak by beating UMass Lowell 20-14 on Friday followed by a 21-8 win against UNH on Sunday. 

The Huskies hosted UML on Friday at the Sherman Family Complex where, in the first half, the River Hawks gained the lead four and a half minutes into the first period by attacker Natalie Choate. It only took UConn attacker Lia LaPrise a minute later to equalize the game with freshman midfielder Madelyn George. The Huskies scored again in the seventh minute by attacker Stephanie Palmucci followed by midfielder Sydney Watson scoring nearly 15 seconds later due to a free position shot, bringing UConn up 3-1.  

UML scored again six seconds into the eighth minute by midfielder Izzy Liquori but UConn put itself in a two-goal lead 40 seconds later by LaPrise with George giving the assist once more. The River Hawks attempted to close the equalizing gap when midfielder Hannah Rose scored with about 21 minutes left in the first period, but freshman midfielder Rylee Brown scored her first goal of the season and maintained UConn’s lead. Watson scored once again in the 12th minute with LaPrise providing the assist and claimed her hat trick by scoring in the 14th minute, bringing UConn up 7-3. 

Despite having a three-goal lead, UML found an opening in UConn’s defense and scored a series of goals to bring themselves level. 

Attacker Samantha Blair scored with 12:42 left on the clock, with attacker Alex Palermo providing the assist, and scored again half a minute later with defender Kelly Morgan providing the assist. Over two minutes later, Liquori scored again for the River Hawks and with nine and a half minutes left in the first half, midfielder Abby McLaughlin scored equalizing the match 7-7. 

The Huskies offense looked unstoppable this weekend. Their 21 goals Sunday represent a season-high for the team.  Photo by Avery Bikerman/The Daily Campus.

The Huskies offense looked unstoppable this weekend. Their 21 goals Sunday represent a season-high for the team. Photo by Avery Bikerman/The Daily Campus.

Watson managed to score in the 22nd minute, giving the Huskies the lead once more; and scored again in the 24th minute. However, Liquori secured her hat trick and brought the River Hawks closer to equalizing the match. With over a minute left in the match, attacker Cameron McKelvin made the score 9-9. However, Watson managed to give the Huskies the lead going into the end of the first period with 33 seconds left on the clock. 

In the second half of the match, UML were quick to equalize again as Liquori scored three minutes in due to a free position shot. The River Hawks gained the lead when McKelvin scored with the assist of Blair but weren’t able to hold it as LaPrise scored a hat trick half a minute later. UConn regained the lead when midfielder Abby Vetsch scored in the 8th minute and 10th minutes of the second period. Midfielder Grace Coon scored her first goal of the season with LaPrise providing her with the assist, followed by Watson scoring once more with 17:31 left in the match. Palmucci scored in the 44th minute due to a free position goal, but UML midfielder Hana Caster scored half a minute later, making the score 12-16.  

The Huskies scored three more times to ensure a gap in the score would secure a win. Sydney Watson scored a free position shot with 14:22 left on the clock and the game was goalless for five minutes until midfielder Olivia Miles scored, with attacker Sam McKenna providing the assist, and Vetsch scoring her second goal of the match in the 22nd minute of the second period, with LaPrise giving the assist. With over seven minutes left in the game, Liquori scored again followed by midfielder Lauren Hopsicker scoring UML’s last goal of the match with a minute and a half to go. UConn’s last goal went to midfielder Sophie Sorenson, who scored nearly a minute later. 

The Huskies now sit at 3-1 to start the season with their only loss coming to James Madison last weekend. They sit at No. 2 in the American Athletic Conference.  Photo by Avery Bikerman/The Daily Campus.

The Huskies now sit at 3-1 to start the season with their only loss coming to James Madison last weekend. They sit at No. 2 in the American Athletic Conference. Photo by Avery Bikerman/The Daily Campus.

The Huskies traveled to UNH where they were the dominant side by maintaining a 13-goal difference with the Wildcats. Abby Vetsch scored a free position shot a minute into the match followed by Sydney Watson scoring 20 seconds later. UNH attacker Katie Taranto 40 seconds later followed by midfielder Julia Neyland equalizing. UConn regained the lead when Grace Coon scored in the seventh minute and Watson scoring in the 10th and 16th minute. Olivia Miles scored a free position shot in the 17th minute, giving UConn a four-goal lead, however UNH midfielder Michele Smith scored with 10 and a half minutes left in the first period.  

The Wildcats slowly worked their way to equalize the game with midfielder Emily Curtis scoring in the 21st minute, however Sam McKenna scored two minutes later, with Madelyn George providing the assist. Over six and a half minutes later, Coon scored followed by Miles scoring about 30 seconds later. With over three minutes left on the clock LaPrise scored a free position shot followed by Coon scoring her hat trick in the 29th minute, making the score 11-4 at the end of the period. 

In the second period, Watson found the back of the net two minutes in, it didn’t take long for UNH to score as Tatanto scored her second goal 12 seconds later. Coon scored at the end of the 35th minute followed by Stephanie Palmucci three minutes later and Miles scoring shortly after her. UNH were able to find the back of the net again as midfielder Abby Cranney scored with 16:38 left in the match and again nearly a minute later. LaPrise scored a free position shot in the 47th minute followed by Palmucci scoring in the 48th and 50th minutes. LaPrise scored her hat trick in the 21st minute followed by Sophie Sorenson scoring a free position shot. UNH scored their last goal of the match in the 56th minute by midfielder Elizabeth Blanding. UConn’s final goal came from midfielder Kyra Place, her first goal of the season. 

UConn currently stands at No. 2 in the American, trailing East Carolina. The Huskies will play their next match on the road against Quinnipiac on Saturday. 

David Sandoval is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at david.sandoval@uconn.edu. He tweets @sandovalduconn.