Melissa’s Menu: Earl Grey creme brulee

0
0
exc-5e54876ea7de913a57573046

Why not treat yourself to a fancy dessert sometimes? There’s no dessert fancier or more delicious than creme brulee, and this week’s Melissa’s Menu takes the classic recipe and puts a twist on it: Earl Grey creme brulee. The result is a creme brulee with a more citrusy and bittersweet flavor than the typical vanilla version.  

Creme brulee is one of my favorite desserts. Nothing beats the rich, smooth taste of the creamy base or the excitement from cracking the hard sugar topping. The earthy tea and citrus flavor of this recipe adds a new, exciting dimension to the dessert that is definitely worth a try. Whether you’re just in the mood to or you’re trying to indulge yourself or impress your friends, whip up this amazing recipe. It is a little complex, but the results are so worth it. 

Ingredients 

1/4 cup of granulated sugar, divided 

Zest of 1 small orange  

Image courtesy of roamingtaste.com

Image courtesy of roamingtaste.com

Zest of 1 lemon 

1 cup of heavy cream 

1/4 cup of whole milk 

1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt 

2 Earl Grey tea bags, cut open 

3 large yolks 

Directions 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium heat proof mixing bowl, rub two tablespoons of sugar with the lemon and orange zests until sugar takes on an orange hue. Set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring cream, milk, the remaining two tablespoons sugar, loose tea and salt up to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Meanwhile, bring four cups of water up to a boil. Add yolks to the bowl with sugar and whisk vigorously until smooth, shiny and slightly lightened in color, which will probably take two to three minutes. While whisking, slowly pour in about 1/4 cup of the hot cream mixture until well combined. Gradually pour and whisk in remaining cream until fully combined.  

Place two six-ounce ramekins in a small baking dish, or, preferably, place each ramekin into individual round baking dishes. Divide cream mixture equally between ramekins. Place the baking dish in the oven and slowly fill the dish with enough boiling water to come up halfway up the ramekins, being careful to not splash any water into the ramekins. 

Bake until custard is mostly set but still shakes a little when ramekin is jiggled, for about 35 minutes. Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven, being very careful to not let water splash into the ramekins. Let them cool for 10 minutes, then remove ramekins from the water bath. Let them cool to room temperature and transfer to a refrigerator to chill until fully set, for at least one hour and 30 minutes. When ready to serve, dust each ramekin evenly with one teaspoon of sugar. Use a torch to gradually melt and caramelize sugar. Enjoy! 

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.