This Week: USG presidential candidate interviews

0
0

USG presidential candidate Jase Valle in an interview with The Daily Campus. Students can stay informed about the upcoming USG elections by reading the candidates’ interviews with The Daily Campus this week.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

USG presidential candidate Jase Valle in an interview with The Daily Campus. Students can stay informed about the upcoming USG elections by reading the candidates’ interviews with The Daily Campus this week. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

With the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) presidential candidates officially confirmed, we at The Daily Campus want to ensure the students of the University of Connecticut can make an informed and conscious choice for who they wish to lead them next year. Hence, the Editorial Board has taken the time to interview the candidates on their beliefs, motivations and goals for their campaigns.

For two days this week, we will be publishing an excerpt from one of these interviews in the paper. These interviews will be featured on the front page before jumping to the Opinion section. On Wednesday, we will be speaking with Jase Valle. On Thursday, we will be speaking with Josh Crowe. Full transcripts of our interviews will be available online at dailycampus.com.

USG presidential candidate Josh Crowe in an interview with The Daily Campus. Students can stay informed about the upcoming USG elections by reading the candidates’ interviews with The Daily Campus this week.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

USG presidential candidate Josh Crowe in an interview with The Daily Campus. Students can stay informed about the upcoming USG elections by reading the candidates’ interviews with The Daily Campus this week. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

In these interviews, we ask pointed questions about the role of USG at UConn, as well as their past accomplishments and goals as president. We ask how they would respond to situations we have come across in our years here at UConn, from controversial speakers to racist incidents to mental health on campus. Of course, we also ask about Tier II funding, one of the core functions of USG. Finally, we delve into their specific qualities and what makes them stand out from the other candidate.

The perspectives of this years’ campaigners are diverse, and we on the Editorial Board were surprised by the differences in responses we received. These interviews will serve as a way to document their ideas and values for the UConn populace. In previous years, USG elections have been marked by low turnout and disillusionment about the roles of its leadership. Through these in-depth interviews, we hope to work against both of these issues.

We encourage you to read on in the upcoming days to make an informed decision. No matter what you see as the role of USG, it is important that we have a leader who will speak to the UConn administration about the issues that matter to undergraduate students. So, keep an eye out this week, and make sure to vote with this knowledge. Thank you.