The Undertow: Local shredders ‘Two Headed Girl’ talk Battle of the Bands, Scott Pilgrim and a communist kids summer camp

0
11

Two Headed Girl performs at WHUS’s Battle of the Bands on Feb, 14, 2020. The indie emo band has the unique feature of having one foot in a major university town and another in one of the biggest cities in New England.  Photo courtesy of author

Two Headed Girl performs at WHUS’s Battle of the Bands on Feb, 14, 2020. The indie emo band has the unique feature of having one foot in a major university town and another in one of the biggest cities in New England. Photo courtesy of author

“Two Headed Girl” took runner-up at last weekend’s WHUS-hosted Battle of the Bands. Fronted by identical twins Angie and Celeste Padua on guitar and bass (hence the Neutral Milk Hotel-referencing name of the band), the four-piece outfit also features Kevin Ryan on guitar and Cam Pulaski on drums. With Angie and Cam at the University of Hartford and Celeste and Kevin here in Storrs, the indie emo band has the unique feature of having one foot in a major university town and another in one of the biggest cities in New England. On Saturday, I talked to the band about everything from their performance last weekend in front of hundreds in the Student Union to their performance in front of a communist summer camp and everything in between. 

How did this all start? 

Angie: I know Celeste. We go way back, one could say.  

Celeste: We met a really long time ago, I don’t even remember.  

A: Basically, freshman year of college I said “Let’s be in a band,” and then I was like “Hey Cam, can you drum for us,” and then that’s kind of exactly how it went down.  

Cam: And that was a compromise for us. 

How is it splitting [the band] between Storrs and Hartford? 

A: Honestly, now that Kevin’s joined – Kevin joined in October [2019] – I feel like it’s better because Cam has a car, Kevin has a car and also there’s like two of us at each school, so it’s not as bad as when it was just Celeste here. I think it’s not as bad as it could be.  

Kevin: Oh man, I feel so used! 

A: You’re not! You’re not used, Kevin. 

Which town has the better music scene? 

A: Can I say New Haven? 

A: Storrs, because we almost won the Battle of the Bands. 

Cel.: Storrs, because we almost won the Battle of the Bands. And I would argue Middletown. 

Cam: Storrs also has Willimantic Records nearby, right? 

K: Also, house parties are starting up with more music. There’s been an initiative to have that get done. 

Cam: Also, the problem is that most venues in Hartford kind of don’t exist anymore. Like, there’s people there doing stuff but all the house venues are kind of gone. 

A: When we were freshmen, there were so many places you could go on any given night you could go to like four different gigs. There was Dennis, Blind Moose, Village Pizza – 

Are these all actual venues or houses? 

Cel.: These are all actual places except Dennis was a house. And Blind Moose was also a house. 

What’s the coolest place you guys have performed? 

K: WHUS Battle of the Bands. 

A: The Battle of the Bands, but honestly, I have to say in top tier moments, that weird communist summer camp we played in Vermont. 

A: We played at a communist summer camp. 

Cam: 10- year-olds were swearing. It was awesome. 

A: There were Malcolm X quotes everywhere. I was like “This is f***king cool.” 

A: They paid us in food! 

Cam: I just remember the experience of being there. I’ve talked to people who have also been there and they’re convinced it was a fever dream. 

A: It was really sick. I would say that was second place to the Battle of the Bands, which was just sick. 

Cam: Wasn’t the West Virginia show also amazing? 

A: Oh, the West Virginia show! Cam and Kevin weren’t there; Celeste and I had other people fill in. We played West Virginia and it was so weird. This guy came up to us and said “You guys look like Ad Rock from the Beastie Boys,” and then he tried to slide into my DMs. I think he thought I was a dude. He was like 50.  

West Virginia is one of the most underrated states. 

A: West Virginia is cool and that event was crazy. The people who ran it were so nice, though! She just gave us $100 in addition to what we made. I was like “You can just have a shirt,” but she was like “No, no.” I was like, “The shirt’s only like eight dollars!” And she slides me a bunch of 20s. I was like, where are you finding this generosity? Also, it feels like they don’t have much of a music scene, so when people play there, they go crazy.  

What is your dream cover? 

Cel.: I was just thinking about this! The other day, I found out that Kim [Deal] and her sister – I don’t know her sister’s name – are twins, so I was like “We should do ‘Cannonball’ by The Breeders.”  

Cannonball? 

C: Yeah, yeah, it’s by Kim Deal from The Pixies, it’s her band with her twin sister. 

Whenever I think of twins in music, I think – 

A: You think of us!  

Yeah! But I also think of the fifth and sixth evil exes from “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World,” with the Katayanagi twins.  

Cam: That’s the best song in the film! 

K: Getting back to dream covers, I think we already do my dream cover. At first I was cringed out by it, but “Curse of Curves” [by Cute Is What We Aim For] is pretty fun. It’s so funny. 

A: We already do my dream cover, which is “Nineteen” by Tegan and Sara. We played a benefit show for their foundation which helps LGBTQ+ people. We wanted to cover it because the show is kind of them-themed and we’re twins. So, we did “Nineteen” by Tegan and Sara and it was one of the best moments of my life.  

K: Angie, I have something to confess: I never learned the lead guitar part to that song. I motioned my way through it.  

A: I knew, I knew. I was like “I know Kevin’s making up the leads, this is fine.” 

Cel.: I should mention that we did a dream cover of mine for the CT Versus compilation: “Mayonnaise” by The Smashing Pumpkins is one of my favorite songs of all time. 

Cam: “Ray of Light” by Madonna would be really cool. That would be really good, but I don’t know if that would work in any context, actually.  

K: We could do a cover album and just drop it on Bandcamp.  

Cam: I think we should do “break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored” by Ariana Grande. 

A: I actually do want to do it. I don’t know what it sounds like.  

Cam: The first melody when you hear that sentence, and it’s probably close to that. Oh! We could do ‘My Own Worst Enemy’ by Lit.  

Cel.: I don’t want to do that! 

Two Headed Girl was one of five bands performing in the Student Union Ballroom on Feb. 14, 2020. Cam called the battle “pretty dope.”  Photo courtesy of author

Two Headed Girl was one of five bands performing in the Student Union Ballroom on Feb. 14, 2020. Cam called the battle “pretty dope.” Photo courtesy of author

So, we’ve kind of danced around it, but how was Battle of the Bands for you? 

Cam: Pretty dope. 

A: It was an awesome experience! Everyone was so nice. We were like, “Wow, can you guys have us back?” 

Cam: I think that was the most people any of us have ever played for. 

K: I don’t want to “no comment” this one, but that was probably like third for me. 

Cel.: Where the hell are you playing? 

K: I played with Living Weary at the Wolf Den twice, at Mohegan once and I’ve played an anniversary event for where I took guitar lessons, and for some reason over 200 people showed up.  

Lastly, this is kind of clichéd, but what do you all have coming up next? 

A: So, our next three shows, which is what we have so far. This upcoming Friday Feb. 28, we’re playing at 216, which is on Yale’s campus. And then, the day after [Feb. 29], we’re playing in West Haven in Crunch House. We have a show on March 29; we’re playing at Café Nine in New Haven. 

K: We’ve never played there, but I see a lot of people playing there.  

A: We’re also writing songs and stuff. I kind of want to focus on that more anyways. Also, like, we’re students, so it’s like, I don’t exactly want to do a “weekender” every weekend, you know. 

Cam: Two Headed Girl is going to graduate soon, that’s gonna be huge. 

Cel.: Big things coming.  

A: And we’re gonna write an album. And you’re gonna crack open that album and be like, “Wow.” 

Two Headed Girl’s music can be found on all streaming platforms. 

Daniel Cohn is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.cohn@uconn.edu