Husky On the Road: A visit to a cat cafe

0
0
exc-5e55d39d3f9a6c6483113268

Crumbs and Whiskers is a cat cafe located in Washington, DC. The cafe offers 15 minutes visits or all-day access.  Photo courtesy of the author.

Crumbs and Whiskers is a cat cafe located in Washington, DC. The cafe offers 15 minutes visits or all-day access. Photo courtesy of the author.

If you’ve ever dreamed of sipping a cappuccino surrounded by cats, keep reading. 

Yes, this magical place really does exist. Crumbs and Whiskers, located in Washington D.C., is not only a cozy cafe but also partners with rescues and houses cats and kittens from high-kill shelters. The cats remain in the cafe, where they enjoy lots of socialization and love, until they are adopted.   

I got the opportunity to visit Crumbs and Whiskers, and it was everything I hoped it would be. I had made a reservation ahead of time for the 75-minute experience, as per the recommendation on their website, and waited eagerly outside the shop with several other visitors.  

As soon as we were welcomed inside, out of the brisk cold and into the cafe, we were given a rundown on how our visit would go. The staff told us about each of the cats, which were particularly friendly, and they took some time warming up to new friends. They also took our drink orders. Once the coffee arrived, it became a kitty frenzy.  

We were allowed to explore the two-story cafe on our own, where there were lots of places to sit, relax and meet new cats. One couple that was also visiting fell in love with a black cat with white markings and began to fill out the adoption paperwork. It was amazing to get to witness a cat in need going to a great home. I loved relaxing on one of the fluffy coaches with a sleepy orange kitten named Ginger.  

Mew Haven Cat Cafe located in New Haven, CT.  Photo courtesy of the author.

Mew Haven Cat Cafe located in New Haven, CT. Photo courtesy of the author.

Before we left, everyone got to take a polaroid home as a memento from the experience. I didn’t want to leave, but my time was up, and it was time for the next group of cat lovers to enter.  

Not only does the cafe offer visits of 15 minutes, 75 minutes or co-working with cats (all day access), but they also offer cat yoga and special events such as “Star Wars” trivia or a Valentine’s Day date night.  

If you aren’t going to be in the D.C. area any time soon, there is now a cat cafe in New Haven called Mew Haven Cat Cafe, offering a similar experience of cuddly cats and coffee. They also offer other beverages such as hot chocolate, tea and special cat themed drinks including “Mr. Kitty’s Pumpkin Spice” and “The Ginger Cat,” which is a spicy ginger honey tea latte.  

Mew Haven also offers three-hour work/study sessions perfect for us college students. What better way to study than surrounded by furry friends? 

Kate Luongo is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kate.luongo@uconn.edu.