Golf: Huskies slow out of the gate at Loyola University Intercollegiate

0
1
exc-5e55e0eed3e11b4136ba5f70

Over the weekend, the UConn men’s golf team began their spring competition at the Loyola Intercollegiate tournament at the Palm Valley Golf Club in Arizona. The tournament was a three-round event, going from Saturday to Monday, and had 19 teams competing, including Hartford, Air Force and South Dakota. After three days of intense competition, the Huskies ended the tournament tied for No. 3 with Missouri State. UConn’s five-man team consisted of Drake Hull, Jared Nelson, Chandler Morris, Jack Boulger and Finn Boynton. Another UConn golfer, Rodrigo Sanchez, attended the tournament as well and competed as an individual.  

After Day 1, the Huskies were tied for No. 12 after shooting 11-over-par for 299. This would be the Huskies’ worst day, as their scores would drop on both Sunday and Monday. But on Saturday, the team was led by Morris and Boynton, who both shot two-over-par.  

After the first two days of competition, the Huskies were No. 14 with a plus 14. Drake University led the field with an impressive eight-under-par after two days of competition. The Huskies were led by Boynton, who was tied for No. 36 at two-over-par, and Morris, who was tied for No. 45 at three-over-par.  

After the final round of competition on Monday, the Huskies ended up tied for No. 13 place out of 19 teams and shot 877, which was 13 over the par of 864. Leading the way was redshirt junior Chandler Morris, who ended up tied for No. 34 at two-over-par, after shooting one-under-par on the final day. Morris’s 218 was his lowest total for the season and included another below-par 71, his fourth of the season. Behind him was redshirt senior Drake Hull at tied for No. 46 at three-over-par. He shot par and one-under on the final two days, marking his seventh and eighth par or below rounds this season.  

Behind them was Finn Boynton, a junior who struggled on the final day after a decent first two days, ending the tournament at three-over-par and tied for No. 56, 20 places further back than after Day 2. However, at a total of 220, it was still Boynton’s best performance this season, and his 72 on Sunday was his first time hitting par this season. Then there were Jack Boulger and Jared Nelson, who finished tied for No. 71 and No. 90, respectively, at six and 11 over par. Boulger got par or better for the second time this season with his 72 on Monday, while Nelson’s 70 on Monday was his fifth under par of the season. Finally, there was Rodrigo Sanchez, who tied for No. 106 at plus 16. 

The Huskies will be back in action next weekend when they’ll play at the Fort Lauderdale Intercollegiate tournament.  

Ashton Stansel is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ashton.stansel@uconn.edu.