Huskies in the Pros: A Star Returns to CT, Injuries in the NBA, Huskies in Spring Training

0
6
exc-5e572d5e4e2df0053096eee1

Houston Astros outfielder George Springer yells as he and other outfielders come off the field during baseball spring training Wednesday.  Photo courtesy of Karen Warren/Houston Chronicle via AP

Houston Astros outfielder George Springer yells as he and other outfielders come off the field during baseball spring training Wednesday. Photo courtesy of Karen Warren/Houston Chronicle via AP

Former Husky and WNBA star Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is returning to Connecticut. Mosqueda-Lewis, who graduated from the University of Connecticut in 2015 after winning three straight championships with the Huskies, was traded from the Seattle Storm to the Connecticut Sun in exchange for a second-round draft pick.  

“I’m really excited to start a new journey in Connecticut,” she said, via a statement released by the Sun on Monday. “It was a second home for me for four years and I’m looking forward to being back!” In a league chock-full of former UConn stars, it is exciting for Husky fans to see a UConn Alumni come and play for the state of Connecticut. 

Over in the NBA, Kemba Walker has been having a great year in his debut season for the Celtics. After being traded in the middle of 2019 from the Hornets, the point guard has had a great performance with the Celtics, averaging 21.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 5.0 assists, and shooting 42.9% on field goals. His play earned him a spot in the All-Star game, where he played for 29 minutes and 10 seconds. While his play this year has been good, he has missed three consecutive games after the All-Star game with a lingering knee injury. It is unclear when he will return, but the Celtics surely miss his help, having lost a close game to the Lakers in his absence. 

Unfortunately, injuries have impacted another UConn alumni in the NBA: Jeremy Lamb, a key guard for the Indiana Pacers and a member of the 2011 UConn championship team, was taken out of a game versus the Raptors Monday with a torn ACL, torn meniscus and lateral femoral condylar fracture. Lamb was having a solid year with the Pacers, averaging 12.5 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.2 steals, while shooting 33.5% from the 3. As a key player in the Pacers push for homecourt advantage in the playoffs, he will be missed.  

Meanwhile, in the MLB, spring training has started up, meaning that many of our favorite former Huskies take the field for the first time this year. Nick Ahmed, the two-time gold glover fresh off a four-year contract extension, took the field as a shortstop for the Arizona Diamondbacks on Sunday, and in three at-bats, recorded two hits and an RBI. In addition to MLB players, spring training allows us a glimpse at the minor leaguers who went to UConn, and how they are making their way up the baseball ranks. Anthony Kay, drafted by the Mets in 2016, was traded to the Blue Jays this past year, and debuted for them in Spring Training, with an era of nine over two innings. John Andreoli, drafted in 2011 by the Chicago Cubs, played for the Red Sox this year in spring training, recording six at-bats with a two base hit and one run. Notable Huskies in the MLB, such as George Springer, Matt Barnes and Scott Oberg, have not played in spring training so far this year, but being important members of professional teams, we will surely see more of them come the regular season. 

Ben Field is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at benjamin.field@uconn.edu