Roundtable: What will Gods do?

0
3
exc-5e571784d241b63a423648fc

Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum celebrates after making a three-point basket against the Minnesota Timberwolves in the fourth quarter of a game Friday, in Minneapolis.  Photo courtesy of Andy Clayton-King/AP

Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum celebrates after making a three-point basket against the Minnesota Timberwolves in the fourth quarter of a game Friday, in Minneapolis. Photo courtesy of Andy Clayton-King/AP

Though Dennis Rodman had them first, Allen Iverson was the first NBA star to bring tattoos into the mainstream. In the league today, hundreds of players ink up their bodies with art and tend to like to show it off. Celtics forward Jayson Tatum is no exception. Twitter users had fun when he posted his newest piece, “Gods Will” that stretches from shoulder to shoulder across his back, missing an apostrophe in “Gods.” So this week, the DC Sports staff breaks down what exactly Gods will do. 

Sean Janos 

“Gods will” allow the Cavaliers to buyout and the Celtics to sign Tristan Thompson. The former No. 4 pick is exactly the type of player that Boston needs to add. Daniel Theis and Enes Kanter have been splitting most of the center minutes and have the Celtics in a good spot, but I think we can all agree this is the one starting position in need of an upgrade most. The Celtics seem to be a piece away, and someone who can protect the rim like Thompson would be valuable in the playoffs. Giannis Antetokounmpo and Joel Embiid devour teams in the paint, and Thompson’s services would be helpful in defending elite big men. 

Conner Gilson 

UConn is known for a few things: Cows, the ice cream that comes from those cows, and its dominant basketball program. But as I’m about to wrap up my third year here, I’ve only been able to get the complete “UConn experience” for two of those things. That is why Gods will get the Huskies back to the national championship before May 2021 rolls around. Since I came to UConn I’ve seen the women fall short in the Final Four in back to back years, while the men have yet to make the tourney. I’m not ruling out the women this year, but with Paige Bueckers and Evina Westbrook joining next year, and the likes of Andre Jackson and Javonte Brown-Ferguson (so far) adding to the men’s team, there is a real chance next year flips the script. We just need that final push. So please God, Jesús, whoever you are, please make it happen because I can’t afford to come back here for grad school. 

Jorge Eckardt 

When you’re a young football fan, you don’t appreciate a lot of things about the game. At the foremost of that group is easily the offensive line, so at the time I never really appreciated when the Jets took Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson (all-time name by the way) in the same draft. So now, I’m just praying that Gods (I’m talking Zeus, Poseidon, Ra, Humbaba, Thor, Loki and all the rest) will inspire the Jets to get Sam Darnold some protection this offseason. On Twitter, Michael Nania (@Michael_Nania) said that in weeks 10-17, Sam Darnold was the highest pressured QB in the entire NFL but still had the 10th best passer rating. He was literally the QB who had his offensive line hang him out to dry the most, yet was still a top-10 quarterback! Protect this man, please!  

Kevin Arnold 

Associate Sports Editor 

Gods, meaning the baseball ones will finally allow their holiest son to ascend to the heavens. In layman’s terms, the baseball Gods will finally call Tim Tebow up to the big leagues. The 32-year-old minor leaguer has spent the last three years in the Mets minor league system and finally hit his first Spring Training home run the other day. I think he should’ve gotten the call after he waved to me at Dunkin’ Donuts Park when he saw me do the Gator Chomp, but 2020 is as good a year as any. It will create quite the log-jam in the already crowded Mets outfield and that’s okay. The Mets need all the help they can get. 

Mike Mavredakis 

Staff writer 

Jayson Tatum is a young king amongst non-royalty, namely Carsen Edwards. The Purdue product had my heart out of the draft last June. His potential for greatness had all of Celtics twitter foaming at the mouth, thinking of 35-foot 3-point bombs coming from his fingertips. Then once he actually took the court, and cut his beautiful hair, his magic shooting ability was pulled from him at the root. Like King Midas without his golden touch. I believe Gods will restore Carsen’s shooting touch, and bring back the power of his astronomical thighs.

The Daily Campus Sports Section – Can be reached at sports@dailycampus.com