Student Trustee Candidate Ethan Werstler

0
0

A photo of student trustee candidate Ethan Werstler. Ethan Werstler is one of two candidates running for the student seat on the Board of Trustees.  Photo Courtesy of Ethan Werstler

A photo of student trustee candidate Ethan Werstler. Ethan Werstler is one of two candidates running for the student seat on the Board of Trustees. Photo Courtesy of Ethan Werstler

Ethan Werstler, a fourth-semester political science and communication major, is one of two candidates for the student seat on the Board of Trustees. Werstler said he is running because he wants to give power back to the students on campus. 

“I am running because I see the opportunity, here and now, to unlock and unleash student power on this campus,” Werstler said. “Students will have more power than they will ever want us to believe.” 

In his candidate statement, Werstler wrote that as a Trustee, he would be looking to amplify student voices, especially considering the prominence of student activism on campus in recent semesters.  

“As Trustee, I will be responsive and reflective of the voices that have risen up on campus calling for change,” Werstler wrote. “I’ve been honored to march alongside the amazing activists who planned the Solidarity March, the Climate Strike and the March Against Victim Blaming. To the champions of those causes and more, I pledge to ensure that your voice is in the room at every Board meeting.” 

In his interview with The Daily Campus, Werstler explained that his platform focuses on four main tenets.  

“My platform revolves around four central elements. Environmental Justice, Diversity Inclusion, Mental Health and Wellness and Lowering Costs of Education are all my priorities when filling that role for student trustee,” Werstler said. 

In addition, Werstler said that being a student trustee to him means breaking down barriers to education.  

“What I mean by that, is there are numerous factors on this campus that keep students from accessing the education they deserve and pay so much money for,” Werstler said. “Acts of racism, seximsm, homophobia, xenophobia, environmental injustice, inadequate access to mental health resources and the rising costs of college are all barriers UConn students face to claiming the education they deserve.” 

Werstler said he is very concerned about the cost of education.  

“The costs of education at this institution is rising and it’s time we address UConn’s management of student funds. When looking at the budget, I will make sure every dollar is being collected and spent in the best interests of students,” Werstler said.  

Werstler finished by reminding students of their responsibility to vote.  

“Please make sure you vote at vote.uconn.edu, and whoever you do end up voting for, remember, the future is in our hands.” 

Grace McFadden is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at grace.mcfadden@uconn.edu