Women’s Lacrosse: Huskies continue their flawless home streak 

0
4

UConn’s lacrosse team won yet another game at home this weekend, beating Quinnipiac 21-4. The Huskies are now a perfect 3-0 at home.  Photo by Erin Knapp/The Daily Campus.

UConn’s lacrosse team won yet another game at home this weekend, beating Quinnipiac 21-4. The Huskies are now a perfect 3-0 at home. Photo by Erin Knapp/The Daily Campus.

The UConn women’s lacrosse team defended the Sherman Family Sports Complex once again on Friday against Quinnipiac, defeating the Bobcats 21-4 and keeping their perfect home record intact of 3-0. 

The Huskies (4-1) scored four goals within the first 10 minutes before conceding. The first came from attacker Olivia Miles, scored in the third minute of the first period, with the assist coming from attacker Lia LaPrise. A few minutes later at the 24:52 mark, attacker Stephanie Palmucci scored an unassisted goal followed by midfielder Sydney Watson scoring in the eighth minute.  

Over a minute later, attacker Olivia Troy scored to make it 4-0 with LaPrise providing her second assist of the match. Quinnipiac’s (1-3) first goal came at the 11th minute from attacker Megan Szawlowski, making the score 4-1.  

It didn’t take long for UConn to score again as Watson put the ball in the back of the net in the 12th minute. Palmucci scored twice within the 16th minute to secure her hat trick: Her first was assisted by LaPrise and her second was unassisted. Attacker Grace Coon made the score 8-1 when she scored in the 18th minute.  

In the 24th minute, Watson secured not only her hat trick but her 21st goal of the season. Nearly a minute later Coon scored with the assist of midfielder Abby Vetsch, marking her seventh goal of the season.  

The 17-goal difference was the largest of the season for UConn. They will have a chance to keep their streak of wins at home alive next week against UMass.  Photo by Erin Knapp/The Daily Campus.

The 17-goal difference was the largest of the season for UConn. They will have a chance to keep their streak of wins at home alive next week against UMass. Photo by Erin Knapp/The Daily Campus.

The Bobcats scored their second goal of the game over a half a minute later by attacker Ashley Bobinski as well as their third about two minutes later by Szawlowski. Twenty seconds later, attacker Sam McKenna scored with the assist by Palmucci as well as the last goal of the first period. At the end of the first half, the score was 11-3 UConn. 

Two minutes into the second period, Quinnipiac midfielder Emily Feeney scored the Bobcats’ fourth and final goal of the match. In the 34th minute, Watson scored an unassisted goal, marking her 22nd goal of the season. Over a minute later, Palmucci secured her hat trick, making the score 13-4.  

In the 37th minute, Lia LaPrise scored her first goal of the match as well as her 11th goal of the season. At the very end of the 39th minute, Olivia Troy scored UConn’s 15th goal of the match. Three minutes later, attacker Casey O’Grady with Palmucci providing the assist. O’ Grady scored again in the 45th minute with LaPrise providing the assist.  

Almost three minutes later, midfielder Jordan Coulon scored her first goal of the season with LaPrise providing her fifth assist of the match. With less than 10 minutes left in the match, midfielder Madelyn George made the score 19-4 with LaPrise providing the assist once again. In the 53rd minute, midfielder Kyra Place scored due to a free position shot. The final goal of the match came at the 56th minute by UConn attacker Kate Shaffer, her first goal of the season. 

The Huskies are currently No. 3 in the American Athletic Conference with a 4-1 record overall. UConn’s next game will be on Saturday at home against UMass at 1 p.m. 

David Sandoval is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at david.sandoval@uconn.edu. He tweets @sandovalduconn.