Huskies come back against BC, move on to the Hockey East Semifinals

0
1

UConn women’s hockey team came up big this weekend, beating BC in a best-of-three series that saw the Huskies come back down from 1-0. UConn will face UNH in the Hockey East semifinals.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus.

UConn women’s hockey team came up big this weekend, beating BC in a best-of-three series that saw the Huskies come back down from 1-0. UConn will face UNH in the Hockey East semifinals. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus.

UConn played Boston College to a best of three Hockey East quarterfinal at Conte Forum in Massachusetts. Friday night the Huskies dropped the first game 4-2, creating a back-against-the-wall situation for them for the rest of the weekend. The Eagles jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first period thanks to goals from Hannah Bilka and Cayla Barnes. BC goaltender Maddy McArthur played hero, saving 42 of the Huskies’ 44 shots to dispel a late comeback. Jessie Aney and Natalie Snodgrass scored in extremely quick succession to mount a fight at the end. Unfortunately, it was to no avail as Delaney Belinskas scored an empty netter a minute after Snodgrass’ goal to secure the opening victory for BC. 

The Huskies responded well on Saturday, shutting out the Eagles en route to a 2-0 victory. Just as they did Friday, UConn outshot BC, this time 36-21. Morgan Fisher saved each of the 21 shots, resulting in her fourth shutout of the season. A goal in each of the first and second periods was enough due to the stout Huskies defense. Catherine Crawley and Viki Harness scored the two goals in a rare game where Snodgrass didn’t find the back of the net.  

Saturday’s victory set up a winner take all game Sunday to advance to the semifinals. It was a scoreless stalemate through one period. It stayed that way until about halfway through the second when Lindsay Agnew opened the scoring for BC. It was looking like UConn’s Hockey East season was over as the Eagles held the advantage until the waning couple minutes of the game. Fourteen minutes into the third period after two saves from Macarthur, Harness put in the rebound to tie the game at one. It was not long after that until (guess who) Snodgrass hit a left-handed wrist shot that five holed McArthur to put the Huskies ahead with a little over two minutes to go. UConn held on to make it a 2-1 victory that sealed the quarterfinal.  

Onto the semifinals for the Huskies. UConn will play the University of New Hampshire on Saturday at Merrimack College. UConn has struggled against the Wildcats this year, losing two out of the three matchups. If the Huskies win on Saturday, they will be playing in the Hockey East Championship Sunday against either Northeastern or Maine.  

Tamir March is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tamir.march@uconn.edu.