Melissa’s Menu: Meal-prep chicken burrito bowls

0
8

If you’re a college student with a kitchen and you don’t meal prep, you’re doing something wrong. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Meal prepping is a life-saver. It’s so easy, time efficient and there are so many amazing meals you can make. It doesn’t have to be boring, there are plenty of delicious and versatile meals out there. This week’s Melissa’s Menu offers a great place to start if you’re looking to get into meal prep: Chicken burrito bowls. This recipe is super flavorful and can last for up to four days. 

Ingredients 

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts 

3 bell peppers, sliced 

This week’s Melissa’s Menu offers a great place to start if you’re looking to get into meal prep that packs flavor and a longer shelf-life.  Photo via tasty.co

This week’s Melissa’s Menu offers a great place to start if you’re looking to get into meal prep that packs flavor and a longer shelf-life. Photo via tasty.co

1 large red onion, sliced 

2 tablespoons of olive oil 

1 tablespoon of taco seasoning 

salt, to taste 

pepper, to taste 

1 jar of salsa 

3 cups of brown rice, cooked 

1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed 

1 can of corn 

1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese 

1 lime, sliced into wedges 

2 tablespoons fresh of cilantro, to garnish 

Directions 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with foil. Place the chicken, peppers and onions onto the baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle the taco seasoning evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the bell peppers and onions, tossing to coat. Top each chicken breast with a generous pour of salsa. Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Rest chicken for 10 minutes before slicing into strips. Add a base of brown rice to four food storage containers. Top each with a scoop of black beans, corn, additional salsa, cheddar cheese, cooked bell peppers, onions and sliced chicken. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a lime wedge. Store in the refrigerator for up to four days. 

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.