Athlete signatures cover local restaurant

0
0

The Bagel Zone, a popular breakfast spot in Storrs, is covered in the signatures of UConn athletes. UConn march and signatures cover every available wall space inside.  Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

The Bagel Zone, a popular breakfast spot in Storrs, is covered in the signatures of UConn athletes. UConn march and signatures cover every available wall space inside. Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

Thousands of University of Connecticut athletes’ signatures line the walls of Bagel Zone and it’s all due to the owner, Susan Green.  

Located approximately two miles off of the Storrs campus, Green, who has loved UConn athletics for as long as she can remember, said she wanted a unique way to honor all of the athletes from the nearby university.  

“There are numerous signatures on the wall too many to mention, but you can come take a look, for numerous sports teams including men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, soccer, football and others,” she said.  

>
I don’t have a favorite athlete but I do try to give little pep talks to the football team because I know they have what it takes, they just need more student support.

The signing of the walls began in 2010 when Green opened the restaurant. Now, all of the walls inside of Bagel Zone are covered in signatures and there are too many to count.  

“I just wanted a place for them to be proud to come and show their friends ‘Hey look I’m on the wall here at Bagel Zone,’” Green said. “It makes me happy to see how proud they are that they got to sign the wall.” 

Green said she does not have any favorite athletes or signatures. She said she just enjoys meeting them and having all the walls inside of Bagel Zone covered in their signatures.   

Owner Susan Green said she did not have a favorite athlete and is honored to be part of their legacy.  Photo by Maggie Chafouleas

Owner Susan Green said she did not have a favorite athlete and is honored to be part of their legacy. Photo by Maggie Chafouleas

“I love to watch the athletes sign the wall. It’s very special to me! I’m not particular about any one athlete, I love them all,” she said. “Being here in Mansfield hasn’t influenced my love for the kids, I loved them before I moved here from Tolland when I owned Bagels and More.”  

She said that when athletes visit, she likes to talk to them and serve them some advice in addition to her breakfast sandwiches.  

“I don’t have a favorite athlete but I do try to give little pep talks to the football team because I know they have what it takes, they just need more student support,” Green said. 

When asked if she wants any signatures in particular, Green said no.  

“Any athlete that would like to come and try out Bagel Zone and sign the wall would be the next athlete I’d love to meet,” she said.  

She said that she feels honored to have become part of the legacy for the athletes.  

“I’m very proud to hear that we are a tradition for them to come back to after they graduate from UConn,”  Green said.  

Rachel Philipson is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.