HomeNewsBiomedical Entrepreneurship course to be offered fall 2020

Biomedical Entrepreneurship course to be offered fall 2020

A new biomedical entrepreneurship course is being offered in fall 2020 across several of the University of Connecticut colleges and schools. Students will be able to gain valuable experience enabling them to be innovative thinkers and develop a entrepreneurial mindset.  Photo by Matthew Pickett/The Daily Campus

A new biomedical entrepreneurship course is being offered in fall 2020 across several of the University of Connecticut colleges and schools. Students will be able to gain valuable experience enabling them to be innovative thinkers and develop a entrepreneurial mindset. Photo by Matthew Pickett/The Daily Campus

Applications are open for a three-credit Biomedical Entrepreneurship course that will be offered during the Fall 2020 semester. The course, cross-listed as BME 6086-020, BADM 5894-011 and MGMT 5895, will be held on Tuesdays from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Connecticut Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Hartford, according to the online course description

According to Chereace Marcellin, CCEI University Specialist and Program Coordinator, students in the course “will learn to identify and address current challenges facing the biomedical field and will receive training in developing a business model, protecting intellectual property, raising capital and business valuation.”  

>
Having the course open to variety of schools, colleges and departments not only aligns with our core mission but creates a collaborative effort between these disciplines in developing new and innovative ventures in life sciences
— Chereace Marcellin

An online description of the course said that students will work in teams on projects “to solve a problem using new innovation in medical technologies.”

Marcellin said that the course helps many students to further develop their own ideas and innovations that they create outside of the class. 

“In most cases, we see students creating their own innovation outside of the course and using the information as a launching pad to aid in their development. Students are also connected to many of CCEI’s venture development programs that provides funding and resources for whatever their entrepreneurial aspirations maybe,” she said.  

UConn’s Bronwell Building, which houses the Engineering III department.  Photo by Matthew Pickett/The Daily Campus

UConn’s Bronwell Building, which houses the Engineering III department. Photo by Matthew Pickett/The Daily Campus

The course is a collaboration between the UConn Schools of Engineering, Business, Pharmacy and Medicine and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences according to the online description.

Instructors include faculty from several of these schools as well as Scott Kosak, the CEO and Chairman of Rho Renewables. 

“Having the course open to variety of schools, colleges and departments not only aligns with our core mission but creates a collaborative effort between these disciplines in developing new and innovative ventures in life sciences,” Marcellin said. “Each discipline represented in the course contributes unique insights and expertise that is ultimately reflected in the final group project where teams are asked to design a biomedical technology and present a theoretical business model.” 

According to the application required for a spot in the course, all UConn students are eligible to apply. Marcellin said the course is not intended for any specific majors and is accessible to all graduate and high-performing undergraduate students who have an interest in biomedical sciences and entrepreneurship. 

The online application asks questions about the student’s interest in entrepreneurship, past relevant experience, mentors, career plans, and requests a copy of their resume. Applications will be accepted until the beginning of the Fall 2020 semester, according to the website.

Henry Kulp is a contributor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at henry.kulp@uconn.edu.

Henry Kulp
Henry Kulp is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at Henry.Kulp@uconn.edu.