Wednesday, April 24, 2024
HomeEditorialCoronavirus is here — stay safe with this advice 

Coronavirus is here — stay safe with this advice 

Metropolitan Transportation Authority worker Duane Clark works to sanitize surfaces at the Avenue X subway station, Tuesday, March 3, 2020, in the Brooklyn borough of New York. The MTA is stepping up efforts to sanitize cars and stations as fears mount over the coronavirus.  Photo courtesy of Kevin Hagen / AP Photo.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority worker Duane Clark works to sanitize surfaces at the Avenue X subway station, Tuesday, March 3, 2020, in the Brooklyn borough of New York. The MTA is stepping up efforts to sanitize cars and stations as fears mount over the coronavirus. Photo courtesy of Kevin Hagen / AP Photo.

Coronavirus will arrive in Connecticut soon enough. Cases have been reported in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New York, all of our neighboring states. Just recently, all UConn students studying abroad in Italy were recalled from their trips. As the public’s awareness of the disease continues to rise and panic sets in, it’s important to remember the basics. Here are some tips and tricks for staying safe: 

1. Let’s not be racist, folks. Many media outlets have been called out in the past week or two for using images of East Asian — usually Chinese — people wearing masks for their coronavirus stories. In times of crisis, we should be supporting our global brothers and sisters in China, not resorting to crude stereotypes. It shouldn’t have to be said, but don’t be racist! And if you see your friends or peers engaging in this behavior, stand up to them. 

2. Wash your hands! The Center for Disease Control advises washing your hands frequently with soap and water for at least twenty seconds. 

3. Avoid touching your eyes and mouth. 

4. Cover your mouth when you sneeze and cough. 

5. If you have the symptoms of coronavirus — primarily fever, cough or shortness of breath — go get tested immediately! We recommend visiting UConn Urgent Care in Storrs Center or UConn Student Health Services. 

Stay safe, friends. With community, we will make it through this. 

Previous article
Next article