Baseball: Huskies head down to South Carolina to take on Presbyterian College

0
6

The Huskies are on to weekend No. 4 in the college baseball season and heading south to try to pick up a couple of wins versus the Presbyterian College. 

The Huskies are coming off a weekend where they lost two of three games to the University of New Orleans, struggling with their control on the mound for most of the series.  Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

The Huskies are coming off a weekend where they lost two of three games to the University of New Orleans, struggling with their control on the mound for most of the series. Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

UConn is sitting at just 4-5 so far this season, however, three of their four wins have come against Michigan, the No. 1 team in the country when they played (well, the first win was when Michigan was No. 8, the other two wins were when they were No. 1). 

They’re coming off a weekend where they lost two of three games to the University of New Orleans, struggling with their control on the mound for most of the series. In the first two games — the two losses — the Huskies walked 17 batters, and that doesn’t include hit by pitches, tack on an extra eight of those. 

“There weren’t many positives; it starts with the guys on the mound and we did a terrible job on the mound for the second day in a row,” head coach Jim Penders told UConn’s Chris Jones following game two. “Leadoff walks again, hit batsmen, 15 freebies from the mound including wild pitches and walks. Just not competing, not competing well at all.” 

Game one, which was originally scheduled for Friday at 2 p.m., has been postponed to Saturday at 11 a.m.  Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

Game one, which was originally scheduled for Friday at 2 p.m., has been postponed to Saturday at 11 a.m. Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

However, Nick Krauth flipped the script for UConn in game three, pitching seven innings, giving up two runs but none of which were earned, striking out eight and walking just one — helping the Huskies avoid the series sweep. 

Krauth has thrown a team-high 17.2 innings this season, giving up 13 hits, six walks, striking out 18 and allowing just one earned run. UConn’s next highest innings leader, Colby Dunlop, has had just about the opposite start to the season, giving up 14 earned runs through just 10.1 innings pitched. 

At the plate, Reggie Crawford has had a stellar start to his freshman campaign, hitting .400 with 7 doubles and 13 RBIs through just 35 at-bats. He’s sandwiched by the Fedkos, with Kyler hitting .471 over 34 at-bats and Christian hitting .324 over 37 at-bats. 

While UConn hasn’t been great, Presbyterian has been worse, currently sitting at 2-9 on the season.   Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

While UConn hasn’t been great, Presbyterian has been worse, currently sitting at 2-9 on the season. Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

While UConn hasn’t been great, Presbyterian has been worse, currently sitting at 2-9 on the season. Their two wins have come against Brown, taking them down 6-3, and Manhattan, who they squeaked by 7-6 in extras. They’re currently riding a three-game losing streak that includes a three-game sweep at the hands of Notre Dame. 

Sophomore Kyle Decker leads them at the plate with an average of .296, and Tannor Byrd is bringing the power, with three of his four hits being home runs — matching UConn’s team total. 

On the mound, innings leader Eric Miles also leads the team in ERA with a 2.41 and strikeouts with 18 in his 18.2 innings pitched. Right behind him is Regan Fowler with 17 innings, but he’s enjoyed considerably less success, pitching to a 7.41 ERA. 

Game one, which was originally scheduled for Friday at 2 p.m., has been postponed to Saturday at 11 a.m., UConn Baseball announced on Twitter Thursday. Game two is scheduled for Saturday at 2 p.m. as the second leg of a doubleheader,  and game three is scheduled for Sunday at noon.

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at Jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu. He tweets @jorge_eckardt31.