Album Review: Silverstein’s ‘A Beautiful Place to Drown’ will bring you to a beautiful place

0
1
exc-5e66dc0d8f6a932f6032a7f7

The band Silverstein in 2014. Their newest release is the album “A Beautiful Place to Drown”.  Photo in the    public domain

The band Silverstein in 2014. Their newest release is the album “A Beautiful Place to Drown”. Photo in the public domain

Silverstein celebrated 20 years as a band this year and topped it off with the March 6 release of their 11th studio album, “A Beautiful Place to Drown.” 

Sometimes a band can get tiring when they maintain the same sound for so long, but this is absolutely not the case with Silverstein. While they’ve ventured out of post-hardcore and more towards punk rock in recent years, they haven’t lost their recognizable style. The band continues to produce high-quality and lyrically-brilliant music. 

One of the things that makes this album so refreshing is the sheer number of guest vocals it includes. “A Beautiful Place to Drown” features appearances from rapper Princess Nokia, Aaron Gillespie of Underoath, Caleb Shomo of Beartooth and Pierre Bouvier of Simple Plan. They bring unique influences to the album and it’s always awesome to see some of my favorite bands collaborate like this. 

Like much of Silverstein’s music, the album mixes darker lyrics with upbeat music. “A Beautiful Place to Drown” tells the story of a toxic relationship and matches it with themes of water and drowning. The band always does an amazing job of making their albums into stories, and this is another one I’m excited to take a look at.  

Lead singer Shane Told is well-known for his lyrical genius, and while this album didn’t entirely live up to that reputation, there are still a lot of amazing lines. “Coming Down” includes one of my favorite lyrics from the album: “Through the noise and flashing lights / I felt the cold night air telling me new lies.” 

I also love the lines from “Stop,” which provide the album with its title: “It’s a beautiful place to drown / Last breath is a constellation / No light gets this far down.” 

Silverstein tied wind-related themes into many of their albums and “A Beautiful Place to Drown” is no exception. “Bad Habits” continues the tradition of wind-themes with the line “Now I’m alive in the wind’s reflection.” Intentional or not, this line is a cool Easter egg because it’s a combination of several of their album titles: “I Am Alive in Everything I Touch,” “This Is How the Wind Shifts” and “Dead Reflection.” 

“September 14th” is one of my favorite songs on the album, as it harkens back to some of the band’s older work on “This Is How the Wind Shifts.” Most of the album is more melodic than it is heavy, so this song in particular has a nostalgic feel to it. If you’re a fan of Silverstein’s older music, then this is the song I’d most recommend listening to. 

“All On Me” is the most experimental song on the track list. It’s a softer, alt-rock song and introduces a saxophone into the bridge, which gives off some The 1975 vibes. It’s unique and new, but it doesn’t depart too far from the feel of the band’s softer works. 

Especially with warmer weather on the way, this is absolutely the kind of album you want to blast while you’re driving with the windows down. The upbeat, catchy songs are a perfect background to anything if you’re into punk rock or post-hardcore. 

All and all, the album proves that Silverstein still has it. Despite not changing their style much over the years, their music has yet to feel repetitive or monotonous; they continue to produce excellent albums that feel fresh. The whole album has been stuck in my head all weekend, and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for something new to listen to. 

Rating: 4/5  

Courtney Gavitt is the digital editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at courtney.gavitt@uconn.edu.