Joe Biden is a creep, and other reasons not to vote for him

0
1
exc-5e671296b2fd91655fc1998a

‘If Joe Biden is nominated, he will lose to Trump. All of the issues listed within this article are huge general election liabilities.  Photo by Paul Sancya/AP Photo.

‘If Joe Biden is nominated, he will lose to Trump. All of the issues listed within this article are huge general election liabilities. Photo by Paul Sancya/AP Photo.

Watch this video, look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you can vote for Joe Biden. Watch him touch and sniff and make little girls visibly uncomfortable on camera, and ask yourself if it’s worth replacing Donald Trump with this man.  

If that doesn’t convince you, go listen to Biden talk about the 1994 crime bill, which he helped write. Listen to him talk about the need for more jails and police to get “predators” off the streets. Watch him orchestrate the bill which supercharged racist mass incarceration. Then watch Bernie speak at the same time. Rather than calling for more jails, he asked us to reflect on the crisis of poverty and despair that drives young men to commit crimes.  

If that doesn’t convince you, go look at Joe Biden’s record on trade. Not only has he voted for disastrous free trade deals like NAFTA and the TPP, he has frequently defended those votes. He has defended his decision to decimate both domestic and foreign workers by letting multinational corporations free from their regulatory reigns.  

If that doesn’t convince you, go look at Joe Biden’s support and repeated defense of the Iraq War. Go watch him repeatedly defend an invasion that resulted in the murder of half a million Iraqi citizens. Again, it’s also worth watching Bernie repeatedly speak out against this imperialist idiocy. 

If that doesn’t convince you, go look at Biden’s repeated attempts to cut social security, one of our few government programs that demonstrably helps the vulnerable. Go read the reporting and watch the speeches as Bernie opposed the Obama-Biden “grand bargain” with congressional republicans, which would have cut social security and other entitlements. 

If that doesn’t convince you, go back and look at Biden’s record on reproductive justice. Until recent pressure forced change, Biden barely supported women’s right to choose.  

If that doesn’t convince you, go watch the tapes of Biden allowing Senators to bully Anita Hill during Clarence Thomas’ confirmation hearings. Then go look at his pathetic attempt at an apology, just weeks before he launched his campaign.  

If that doesn’t convince you, go watch him express rosy nostalgia for his past dealings with segregationists. Go read about his eulogy of Strom Thurmond, one of the most infamous opponents of civil rights legislation.  

This is a short summary of Biden’s horrific record. It is far from complete.  

But it does reveal two things. First of all, no one should vote for Joe Biden. His coronation by the Democratic party is consistent with their past, but stunning nonetheless in its incompetency. 

Second, if Joe Biden is nominated, he will lose to Trump. All of the issues listed above  — especially on free trade, social security and mass incarceration — are huge general election liabilities. Bernie is too nice to attack him on this, but Biden’s obvious, public cognitive decline will not be missed by Trump. 

Bernie Sanders is no perfect candidate. I’ve written about his flaws. But he is a decent man, with a genuine sense of human solidarity. He can also beat Trump, because he doesn’t carry any of Joe’s obvious general election liabilities. He presents a vision of the future that is optimistic and rooted in popular social democratic ideas. 

Show your grandparents and parents and uncles and aunts this article. Show them the Joe Biden the media won’t. It may be too late, but we have to do everything we can to stop this trainwreck.  

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by individual writers in the opinion section do not reflect the views and opinions of The Daily Campus or other staff members. Only articles labeled “Editorial” are the official opinions of The Daily Campus.

Harry Zehner is the opinion editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at harry.zehner@uconn.edu.