Baseball: Huskies have mid-week game versus UHart 

0
9

UConn baseball redeemed themselves this weekend, sweeping Presbyterian College 3-0. Now they will have to travel Virginia to compete in their first northeast series.  Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus.

UConn baseball redeemed themselves this weekend, sweeping Presbyterian College 3-0. Now they will have to travel Virginia to compete in their first northeast series. Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus.

UConn baseball brought out the brooms this weekend when they swept Presbyterian College on their home field. This week, before shipping down to Virginia to take on Monmouth, Iona, Harvard and the University of Richmond, they get to play their first game in the northeast. 

And they’ll be oh so close to Storrs, taking a short bus ride over to West Hartford to take on the University of Hartford Hawks in their first mid-week game of the season. 

Hartford is a solid 6-4 this season, taking two of three from North Florida and The Citadel, one of three from Stetson and one of one from Central Connecticut. 

The Hawks are led on the mound by junior southpaw Nicholas Dombkowski, who in 20 innings pitched this season has allowed just two earned runs, walked four and struck out 20. 

As for bats, of those who have at least 20 at-bats, Tyler Coppo paces them with a .333/.333/.564 slash line, two homers and 10 RBIs, both team-highs. Drew DeMartino is right behind him, hitting .286/.409/.514 with two dingers and six ribbies, the latter of which is tied for second on the team.  

For the Huskies, Kyler Fedko has been mashing it to start the season, hitting .426/.581/.660 with two homers, a team-high and 12 RBIs, which is tied for second on the team, over 47 at-bats. On top of that, he has only struck out three times. 

However, would you believe that is not the best line on the team? Yes, Erik Stock is hitting .519/.581/.630, however, he has had just 27 at-bats. 

The Huskies’ rotation has been a key facet in their success this season. They are led primarily by Nick Krauth, who has an insane 0.36 ERA through 24.2 innings pitched.  Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus.

The Huskies’ rotation has been a key facet in their success this season. They are led primarily by Nick Krauth, who has an insane 0.36 ERA through 24.2 innings pitched. Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus.

As for arms, Nick Krauth has pitched to a stellar 0.36 ERA over 24.2 innings pitched — or given up just one earned run — and struck out 24 batters. 

Joe Simeone, after starting the season off on a little bit of a rough patch, got back on the right foot this weekend, throwing six innings and giving up one run but none earned and striking out 12. 

As for gloves, they’re coming off a really rough weekend, recording seven errors in the three games, including five in the final series prompting them to need some last inning heroics in order to win the game. 

UConn is 42-16 all-time versus Hartford, and are currently riding a three-game win streak dating back to 2018.  

First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Fiondella Field in West Hartford, and if you’re looking to catch a UConn baseball game this will be their last one in Connecticut until March 29. 

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at Jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu. He tweets @jorge_eckardt31.