Melissa’s Menu: Chicken carbonara pasta

0
1
exc-5e66f90ab2fd91655fbd18c3

Chicken carbonara is one of the ultimate comfort foods. It’s creamy, carb-y and so satisfying. The classic Italian pasta dish consists of parmesan cheese, bacon, pepper and eggs. The result is a delicious blend of savory flavors that will leave you satisfied but not too full. This particular recipe includes sauteed chicken for some added protein, which in my opinion makes this version even better than the original. The recipe is super easy to follow and only requires around 15 minutes of prep time, so it’s the perfect last-minute dinner option.  

Ingredients 

12 ounces of fettuccine pasta 

Photo via delish.com

Photo via delish.com

4 slices of bacon 

3 cloves of garlic, minced 

1/2 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips 

Kosher salt 

Freshly ground black pepper 

4 large eggs, beaten 

3/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan, plus more for garnish 

1/3 cup of freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish 

Directions 

In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain, reserving half a cup pasta water, and return to the pot. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon for about five minutes. Add garlic and cook until bacon is crispy, which should be about two to three more minutes. Transfer to a bowl and drain half the fat in the skillet. Add chicken to skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Season generously with salt and pepper and cook, flipping halfway through, until the chicken is no longer pink. Reduce heat to low and return the bacon to the skillet. Toss, then add cooked pasta and mix until combined. In a small bowl, beat together eggs, parmesan, parsley and season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over pasta and toss until coated, then add a couple tablespoons of pasta water until creamy. (Add more pasta water by the tablespoonful if necessary.) Garnish with more parmesan and parsley and serve immediately. 

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.