Baseball: UConn extends win streak to 5 with win over Hartford

0
3
exc-5e6839282823ee0c41c458b5

UConn baseball’s Kyler Fedko hits a ball versus Central Connecticut last season. Fedko and co. have been on a tear, winning their last five games.  Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

UConn baseball’s Kyler Fedko hits a ball versus Central Connecticut last season. Fedko and co. have been on a tear, winning their last five games. Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

UConn beat Hartford 5-2 Tuesday afternoon in their first game in their home state of the season. 

The Huskies (8-5) fell behind early, giving up two in the second inning. The inning started rough when starting pitcher Angus Mayock gave up a leadoff walk followed by a double.  

The next batter lined out to right, then the next one hit a ground ball to the first baseman. Reggie Crawford made a heads-up play to get the ball to the catcher to cut down the runner. Now with two outs, things started to look better for UConn in the second. 

Then the runner on first stole second, and Mayock walked Robert Carmody. With the bases loaded, Hartford’s No. 9 hitter Kyle Hawes hit the ball to shortstop, and Zach Bushling threw it away. Two runs came across before Carmody was thrown out at second to end the inning. 

This was just one of the five errors that UConn committed this game, but it was the only one that would hurt them in the runs column. Mayock was pulled from the game after two innings of work, giving up two unearned runs on one hit and two walks. 

The Huskies pushed a run across in both the fourth and fifth innings to tie the game, then took a three-run lead in the sixth. 

UConn Baseball takes home a 9-1 win against Central Connecticut State University last April. UConn beat Hartford 5-2 today in Hartford. Paul Gozzo hit a 3-run home run to give them the win.  Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

UConn Baseball takes home a 9-1 win against Central Connecticut State University last April. UConn beat Hartford 5-2 today in Hartford. Paul Gozzo hit a 3-run home run to give them the win. Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

Chris Winkel and Paul Gozzo put UConn in the scoring column in the fourth. Winkel reached base on a one-out single to center, then stole both second and third base. Gozzo scored Winkel on a clutch two-out single up the middle, then was thrown out trying to steal second to end the inning. 

UConn tied the game in the fifth without getting a hit, scoring from an error, a walk, a balk and a wild pitch. 

Winkel and Kevin Ferrer opened the sixth with back-to-back leadoff singles. Gozzo put the Huskies up three with one swing of the bat, clearing the fence in left-center for his second home run of the season. 

Will Lucas relieved Mayock in the third and threw the next 3.1 innings. He didn’t allow any hits, walked two, struck out one and had one HBP. He recorded the win for the game. 

Andrew Marrero, Kenny Haus and Caleb Wurster threw the final 3.2 innings, allowing one hit each, no runs and combined for one walk, one HBP and three strikeouts.  

Wurster picked up his second save of the season, coming on the heels of his first win of the season last game, and his very first save a game before that. In other words, he has pitched the final inning(s) of each of UConn’s last three games. 

UConn is now on a five-game winning streak, with three of those wins coming in last weekend’s sweep of Presbyterian College. 

The Huskies will have the next few days off before playing five games in five days down in Virginia. That stretch will begin this Friday against Monmouth University at 10 a.m. 

Sean Janos is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu. He tweets @seanjanos.