Women’s Lacrosse: Huskies look to bounce back following UMass defeat

0
2
exc-5e684016d318640a88352cd5

The Huskies win against UMass Lowell 20-14 on Friday, Feb. 23. They will take on Columbia Wednesday.  Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

The Huskies win against UMass Lowell 20-14 on Friday, Feb. 23. They will take on Columbia Wednesday. Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

Despite their defeat at home against UMass, UConn will be eager to make a comeback at home against Columbia (0-6) Wednesday. 

UConn (4-2) is currently No. 3 in The American, trailing East Carolina (5-2). 

In their meet-up last year, the Lions defeated the Huskies 13-7. Familiar faces contributed in the game, including attackers Olivia Miles and Lia LaPrise netting a hat trick and a goal, respectively, as well as midfielder Sydney Watson scoring a goal. 

It’s inevitable that the three will play key roles once more, given their good form so far. Miles has 26 shots this season with an accuracy percentage of .808. As for LaPrise, she is one of the more involved players this season: 14 goals and 20 assists (34 pts), along with 29 shots so far with a .759 accuracy on target. She also leads the team with the most turnovers (16). Watson still proves to be the Huskies’ main star with a shot accuracy of .914 to compliment her 24 goals currently. 

Looking to the defense, senior Alyssa Conklin leads the team with 13 ground balls received while only giving two turnovers and caused eight. 

Following their game against UMass (4-1), the Huskies’ shot accuracy (.724) was merely greater than that of the Minutewomens’ (.714). UMass did, however, have the most turnovers of 16 compared to UConn’s 13.  

Overall the team strong suit so far has been their shots on goal percentage (.825) compared to their opponents who average a percentage of .716. Additionally, the Huskies are successful in receiving ground balls (97) while their opponents so far have gotten 77. Even though they thrive in attacking and ball control, the defensive side doesn’t hold up as much. While UConn has 57 caused turnovers, their opponents have fewer (46). 

After the UMass defeat, head coach Katie Woods said the Huskies must be able to manage “all different types of pressures” on the offensive side and especially in the transitions when they face Columbia. Woods also said they would be working on draw control drills as UMass constantly won control of the ball.  

Looking over to their opponents, their shot on goal percentage is less than UConn’s (.74) and their turnovers (118) exceed their opponents’ (83). There could be a change to how they play however, as former head coach Andrea Cofrin resigned on Monday after five seasons in the program. In their last game against Cornell, the Lions were dominated, losing 20-2. Columbia’s leading goal scorer is currently attacker Alexandria Absey with 11 goals and one assist. Columbia is currently at the bottom of the Ivy League standings. 

David Sandoval is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at david.sandoval@uconn.edu. He tweets @sandovalduconn.