In Case You Missed It: What Happened This Week Beyond UConn

0
0

Biden wins “Super Tuesday 2” 

Democratic presidential candidate former Vice President Joe Biden, accompanied by his wife Jill, speaks to members of the press at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia, Tuesday, March 10, 2020. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

On Tuesday, six states (Idaho, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota and Washington) held primaries, and Joe Biden continued on his upswing, winning 4 out of the 5 currently full counted states and pulling ahead to a 154 delegate lead over Bernie Sanders with 864 in total. As of this writing, Washington is the only state to still have to report a final tally. This was the second biggest day of primaries in the season, with April 28th and June 2nd being the next two biggest with five states each. According to CNN, Sanders has a tough road ahead of him, with a debate coming up against Biden on Sunday and four primaries next week in states (Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Ohio) that he lost in 2016. 

St. Paul Teacher Strike 

St. Paul teachers march during a strike early Tuesday, March 10, 2020, in St. Paul, Minn. Teachers at St. Paul Public Schools went on strike Tuesday after last-minute efforts to reach a contract agreement failed. (David Joles/Star Tribune via AP)

In St. Paul, Minnesota, approximately 37,000 students are out of school due to the first teacher’s strike in the city since 1946, according to CBS News. Teachers are asking for better mental health, special education and foreign language resources, and superintendent Joe Gothard says that while the district is trying to strike a deal, funds are limited.  The strike has been on for the past two days, with school cancelled for the students both days, after a 45-hour negotiation period failed to solve the problem before Tuesday. According to the district, about one third of the district’s students are English learners, so the lack of foreign language support is a serious problem. Parents have been told to prepare for the possibility of a months-long strike, as both the district and the St. Paul Federation of Educators are having trouble reaching a fair compromise. 

US Soccer Says They Won’t Pay Women Equally 

United States players Tierna Davidson, Lindsey Horan, Julie Ertz, Abby Dahlkemper, and Kelley O'Hara stand with their jerseys turned inside out during the playing of the national anthem before a SheBelieves Cup women's soccer match against Japan, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. (AP Photo/Jeffrey McWhorter)

United States players Tierna Davidson, Lindsey Horan, Julie Ertz, Abby Dahlkemper, and Kelley O’Hara stand with their jerseys turned inside out during the playing of the national anthem before a SheBelieves Cup women’s soccer match against Japan, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. (AP Photo/Jeffrey McWhorter)

In the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team’s lawsuit against the U.S. Soccer Federation, the USSF has responded. U.S. Soccer claims that the men’s team has “more responsibility” and that the men’s game “takes more skill,” and because of this they claim that they do not need to pay women equally, according to CNN. The lawsuit was originally filed in March 2019, and gained a lot of publicity during the Women’s World Cup in July, which the U.S. team took the gold in for the second World Cup in a row. The team is seeking more than $60 million in damages for gender discrimination, and this week the USSF justified their stance by saying that their opinion was “not a sexist stereotype” and backed up by “indisputable science.” 

2 Americans Killed in Missile Attack 

Missiles were fired at the Camp Taji base in Iraq, killing three service members in the base, two of which were American. According to ABC, while the group responsible for the attacks has not yet been identified, Kataib Hezbollah or another Iranian group is the most likely offender. Kataib Hezbollah has been designated as a terrorist group by the US since 2009, and the leader of Iranian supported militia groups (of which Kataib Hezbollah is one) was recently killed in the attacks that killed Qasem Soleimani. 

Alex Jones Arrested in Texas with DUI 

In this Tuesday, March 10, 2020 booking photo provided by the Travis County (Texas) Sheriff's Office is Alex Jones. Jones was arrested in Texas on a misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated, authorities said Tuesday, March 10, 2020. Jones was booked into an Austin jail shortly after midnight and released on bond a few hours later, sheriff's office spokeswoman Kristen Dark said. (Travis County Sheriff's Office via AP)

In this Tuesday, March 10, 2020 booking photo provided by the Travis County (Texas) Sheriff’s Office is Alex Jones. Jones was arrested in Texas on a misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated, authorities said Tuesday, March 10, 2020. Jones was booked into an Austin jail shortly after midnight and released on bond a few hours later, sheriff’s office spokeswoman Kristen Dark said. (Travis County Sheriff’s Office via AP)

According to the New York Post, Alex Jones of InfoWars.com was arrested in Texas on Tuesday for driving under the influence, reportedly after a fight with his wife. The police were responding to hearing “a disturbance” at Jones’ house when he was pulled over for speeding, and apparently he smelled strongly of alcohol upon talking to the officer. Jones’ court document states that he had drained a bottle of sake at a sushi restaurant earlier, and while he was found to have a blood alcohol level of .076, (below the legal intoxication level) the state of Texas still is able to arrest people for DUIs if they are “impaired.” Jones was released on a $3,000 bail.