Tips and tricks for staying healthy while traveling

0
2

With the spark of the coronavirus, it is important to protect your health while traveling. Wearing gloves, washing your hands, and being responsible can play a huge role in keeping yourself healthy.  Photo by     Josh Sorenson     from     Pexels

With the spark of the coronavirus, it is important to protect your health while traveling. Wearing gloves, washing your hands, and being responsible can play a huge role in keeping yourself healthy. Photo by Josh Sorenson from Pexels

Coronavirus has sparked fear among millions. People all around the world are canceling their travel plans in hope of escaping the potentially fatal virus. While some are lucky enough not to need to travel, others are forced to embark on planes and navigate airports. If you are one of those people, there are a few things you can do to protect yourself from unwanted germs.  

Wear gloves  

I bite my nails without even realizing it. I’m constantly touching my face, playing with my hair and eating snacks without washing my hands. Gloves are the perfect barrier to protect you from doing these things. By wearing a latex glove, you’re unable to put your hands in your mouth and will most likely not want to touch your face. They work as a great reminder to not spread germs even further while protecting you from germs directly touching your skin.  

Wash your hands 

The airport is usually a place of high stress for people. You’re scared of missing your flight, you’re worried about your luggage getting lost, and you wish to reach your destination. It’s easy to eat a meal without washing your hands first, but it’s important you remember to do so to protect your food from germs. And no, I don’t mean a quick five-second wash under warm water. Thoroughly wash your hands with water and soap for at least 20 seconds, making sure to get your knuckles, the webs of your fingers and even your wrists. If you’re sitting in a window seat, don’t be nervous to politely ask your seat buddy if they mind getting up to let you out. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.  

Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer 

While it’s impossible not to touch surfaces, it is possible to wipe them down before and after. Bring portable Clorox wipes with you, and wipe down your seat, the table and any other surface you will be coming in contact with for an extended amount of time. Periodically sanitize your hands if you don’t have access to a restroom.  

Care for your body 

Besides taking steps specific for coronavirus, overall taking care of your body is just as important. Make sure to get an adequate amount of rest and to constantly nourish yourself with nutritious and filling foods. Ditch the fast food for a more beneficial meal that is packed with helpful vitamins. The healthier you are, the better your immune system is and the less likely you are to get sick — even if it’s just a common cold. 

Be responsible  

If you do begin to feel any symptoms of coronavirus, get tested. Don’t act as if it is just the flu being passed around, or say to yourself, “Oh, it’s just a cold.” Not only are you putting yourself at risk, but you’re possibly putting people with damaged immune systems at risk. At a time where everything is so unpredictable, we must ensure as a community to do our part in helping contain the spread of COVID-19.  

Jordana Castelli is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at jordana.castelli@uconn.edu.