Baseball: UConn’s season in danger of cancellation

0
5

Leagues and conferences have been cancelling from concerns around the spread of COVID-19. As of Thursday, the American has suspended all winter and spring sports from playing their games.  

This weekend, UConn baseball was supposed to head down to Richmond, Virginia and Norfolk, Virginia for three games against Monmouth, Norfolk State and Richmond.  

The UConn Baseball team secures a 2-1 win against the University of Rhode Island. This leaves them at 25-16 in the season.  Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

The UConn Baseball team secures a 2-1 win against the University of Rhode Island. This leaves them at 25-16 in the season. Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

The Huskies were going to head into the weekend riding a five-game winning streak that had a very solid chance to continue against the slew of sub-.500 competition. Their bats came alive last weekend against Presbyterian, scoring 31 runs in the series. 

Since this was supposed to be a weekend preview of the weekend’s games, instead let’s take the opportunity to recognize some of the standout performances we have seen this season from one of UConn’s best teams. 

UConn’s pitching has been especially good, with key contributors Nick Krauth and Joe Simeone chiming in with nearly 40 innings between the two of them, with ERAs of 0.36 and 3.00, respectively.  

Krauth has put on a display this season, striking out 24 in 24.2 innings of work. He beat top-10 Michigan twice en route to a perfect 4-0 record for the year. His ERA is the 13th best in the nation and seventh best among pitchers with 20.0 or more innings. He also allowed just 5.11 hits per nine innings on the year, en route to an opposing batting average of .167.  

On the offensive side of the ball, UConn has flourished this season.  

Outfielder Kyler Fedko has been especially productive in the early going this year as well, slashing .412/.434/.627 through 13 games with a pair of homers and 12 RBIs. His 1.061 OPS leads the team and his .412 average leads the American. He has made tons of contact this season as well, striking out in just 7% of his plate appearances. 

Freshman Reggie Crawford has been spectacular in his first season, providing a solid left-handed presence in the middle of the order. Crawford leads the team in RBIs with 16, and the conference in doubles with seven. He has knocked one out of the park as well, with a solo shot against New Orleans. 

Senior Chris Winkel struggled a bit out of the gate but has turned it on as of late to improve his slash line to .348/.404/.457 through 13 games. He has six multi-hit games on the year, with four during their five-game win-streak.  

In limited time, righty Erik Stock thrived at the plate as well. His .484 batting average is the best on the Huskies as he has spent the season spraying singles in the two-hole.  

Captain and catcher Paul Gozzo came into the starting role following an elbow injury to Pat Winkel. He has responded with a pair of homers against Michigan and Hartford. His three-run blast gave UConn the win against Hartford on Tuesday, capping off a 4-RBI performance.  

This looked like a special group that could really do something with the talent they possess. They took down Baseball America’s No. 1 Michigan in three-of-four games they played against them. They had potential, hopefully it isn’t lost for good. 

This team has a very solid foundation going forward — I hope this isn’t the last article I get to write about this group. It is incredibly disappointing this is happening, but I’m glad I got the chance to see it while it happened.  

Mike Mavredakis  is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu and tweets @MMavredakis.