Students respond to dining services regarding Buckley dining hall hours of operation 

0
0
exc-5e6ad1a3b4733b2bb1df3bb6

Many students are divided over the reasoning provided by dining services for Buckley Dining Hall  being closed on weekends . Some students will continue to support the petition for Buckley opening on weekends despite the information presented by dining services.  Photo by Erin Knapp / The Daily Campus.

Many students are divided over the reasoning provided by dining services for Buckley Dining Hall being closed on weekends. Some students will continue to support the petition for Buckley opening on weekends despite the information presented by dining services. Photo by Erin Knapp / The Daily Campus.

Students are divided over the reasoning Dining Services provided for Buckley Dining Hall’s closure on weekends

Some students, like Tiana Rojas, a second-semester nursing major, feel they will continue to support Buckley opening on weekends despite the information presented by Dining Services. 

“The article gave me more insight as to the reasons for Buckley being closed but did not deter my opinions on the reasons it should remain open,” Rojas said.  

Her reasoning isn’t founded in a dislike of walking to other dining halls like Dining Services claimed but moreso the fact that the other closest dining halls often have limited menus or are much more densely populated, Rojas said. Additionally, Rojas found Buckley weekend closures to be confusing as a new student. 

“While living in Buckley, I was confused at first as to why the dining hall in my building was the only one that closed during the weekends while others stayed open,” Rojas said. 

Conversely, other students like Bazzle Coleman, a second-semester computer science and psychology major, feel that Buckley’s closing on weekends makes sense. In particular, Coleman agrees with the decision from a staffing perspective. 

“It makes sense because they’re already understaffed,” Coleman said. “It’s mildly annoying for breakfast, but I usually don’t eat other meals at Buckley anyways.” 

Coleman said he understands why the students — especially those living in Buckley and Shippee — would want Buckley to be open seven days a week, but he also understands why that may not be feasible. 

“I understand why people want Buckley open on weekends, but it makes sense why it’s not,” Coleman said. “In an ideal world, it would be, but that is not the world we live in.” 

Jessi Cooper, a second-semester pre-teaching major and Buckley Dining Hall student worker, understands the frustration but feels that dining services’ choice makes sense. 

“I thought it was inconvenient, but I understood the dining hall simply doesn’t have the staffing or budget to remain open for such a small demand over the weekend,” Cooper said. “Everyone roasts Buckley anyway, so what’s the likelihood they’d really go on weekends?” 

Cooper feels that Dining Services is more likely to reconsider their decision regarding Buckley’s hours if the numbers were to back it up. Until that point though, Cooper agrees that Dining Services cannot financially support the extra hours. 

“We have full-time and student employees, totaling up to dozens of people on the payroll, plus we’re already understaffed with poor sales. It’s just not feasible to extend hours,” Cooper said. “Maybe if people start increasing our sales on weekdays, we’d see enough demand to justify it, but until then, just walk to South.” 

Thomas Alvarez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at thomas.alvarez@uconn.edu.