Some UConn students required to move out by Saturday

0
1

The University of Connecticut has told residents of five campus dorms to remove their remaining belongings by March 28, per a university email.  File photo/The Daily Campus

The University of Connecticut has told residents of five campus dorms to remove their remaining belongings by March 28, per a university email. File photo/The Daily Campus

University of Connecticut Residential Life Services notified spring semester residents of five residential halls, located at both the Storrs and Stamford campuses, that they must move their belongings out by Saturday, in an email sent Tuesday night. 

This announcement comes over a week after students were notified that coursework would be delivered online for the remainder of the spring semester, in an effort to reduce the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). 

>
We are also anticipating that [the] Connecticut state government may also seek to temporarily use space in our residence halls over the next several weeks in response to the crisis, Your residence hall is one location UConn will utilize to house students or others who must be quarantined or self-isolate as a result of illness or potential illness.
— University email

The five residential halls included Buckley, Shippee, Sprague and Charter Oak Apartments at the Storrs campus, as well as 900 Washington Blvd. at the Stamford campus, according to University spokesperson Stephanie Reitz. 

“If you are unable to come to campus before March 28 to retrieve your belongings, the University will have them boxed and safely stored for you,” Pamela Schipani, executive director of Residential Life, said in the email. “Students will be provided additional information on retrieving those items when the University is fully open again.” 

Students living at a distance deemed unsafe for them to travel back to the Storrs campus were notified Wednesday morning that their belongings would be packed up for them instead by UConn staff. 

“This email is being sent to you because of the distance you live from the Storrs campus. We do not feel it is advisable or reasonable to ask you to travel to campus now to retrieve your belongings given your distance from campus combined with the current public health situation,” the email said.  “As a result, the University will pack up your belongings from your residence hall room and safely store them until the University is fully open again.” 

Also mentioned in the email was a possibility for the residential halls to be used for quarantining or self-isolation purposes as the spread of COVID-19 continues to increase. 

“We are also anticipating that [the] Connecticut state government may also seek to temporarily use space in our residence halls over the next several weeks in response to the crisis,” the email said. “Your residence hall is one location UConn will utilize to house students or others who must be quarantined or self-isolate as a result of illness or potential illness.” 

Reitz said while this is a possibility, the specified residential halls may also be used for people with temporary housing needs or an area for healthcare workers to rest. 

“We’re working out logistics to guide students and their families,” Reitz said. “This moved very quickly yesterday as the state needs more potential space in anticipation of whether infections will become more numerous.”

Amanda Kilyk is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at amanda.kilyk@uconn.edu