A quarantine playlist with a song for every isolation-induced mood

0
8

Constant COVID-19 updates, uncertainty of the times and necessary self-isolation naturally bring about a swirl of emotions in each and every one of us. One day you may feel hopeful; the next you may feel angry. One of the best ways I’ve found to get my emotions out, especially while being stuck inside these past few weeks, is by listening to music of all types. So no matter what your mood is for the day, whether you’re on day one or day 14 of your quarantine, there’s sure to be a song in this mix for you.

If you want to catch up on new releases …

Just because it seems like the world has been put on pause doesn’t mean that music releases have stopped. In the past few weeks, both Lil Uzi Vert and The Weeknd released new projects to keep us listening all quarantine long. While each album has a plethora of good songs, try “Myron,” “Strawberry Peels (feat. Young Thug & Gunna)” and “Lo Mein” from “Eternal Atake (Deluxe) – LUV vs. The World Part 2” for some classic Uzi. If you’re in a more “emo but still vibing mood,” check out “Alone Again,” “Too Late” and “After Hours” from The Weeknd’s “After Hours.”

If you want to listen to some up-and-coming artists …

Finding new favorites is a great way to fill in some of the empty hours that quarantine has created. Both “Sangria” by Easy Life and “DiCaprio (Love Me All The Time)” by Juice have easy, carefree vibes that are sure to take your mind off of the current situation and will have you daydreaming about sunnier, better days.

If you want to pretend you’re back at a party/bar …

There are a few songs that are quintessentially college: You know you’ve heard these in at least a few sweaty basements or sticky bars. If you want to recreate those memories with music, you need to blast either “No Hands (feat. Roscoe Dash & Wale)” by Waka Flocka Flame or “HeadBand (feat. 2 Chainz)” by B.o.B. at full volume, turn on any sort of color light you own and let loose.

If you want to cry …

There’s no doubt about it: Self-isolation and the entire coronavirus outbreak sucks. It’s completely normal to feel sad about the entire situation, and sometimes when you’re feeling sad, all you need is a good sad song and a crying session. Everybody has a different taste in songs to cry to, but a few that do it for me are “Needle in the Hay” by Elliot Smith, “Under the Bridge” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and “Visions of Gideon” by Sufjan Stevens.

If you want to be emo (but not cry) …

Sometimes you need a different type of emotional song to help you wrestle with your feelings. When this sentiment hits, it’s time to load up the emo rap. Listen to “Beamer Boy” and “Broken Smile (My All)” by Lil Peep to start (and then cue up his entire discography). Throw in “Castle with No Light (Intro)” by Teddy and “Depressed + But I’m Lit.” by Cold Hart and you’re good to go.

If you want to dance …

If you want to dance but classic “frat rap” isn’t your thing, check out “raingurl” by Yaeji or “I Follow Rivers – The Magician Remix” by Lykke Li. These two new-agey songs are sure to get you up off of your bed and moving around.

If you want a good throwback…

Do you want to reminisce on the good old days (aka any time before coronavirus)? Throw on a few of these tracks to get the throwback party started: “Buy U a Drank (feat. Yung Joc)” by T-Pain, “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” by Soulja Boy, “Run It!” by Chris Brown and “Bottoms Up (feat. Nicki Minaj)” by Trey Songz.

The most eclectic quarantine playlist list:

1. Myron – Lil Uzi Vert

2. Strawberry Peels (feat. Young Thug & Gunna) – Lil Uzi Vert

3. Lo Mein – Lil Uzi Vert

4. Alone Again – The Weeknd

5. Too Late – The Weeknd

6. After Hours – The Weeknd

7. Sangria – Easy Life

8. DiCaprio (Love Me All The Time) – Juice

9. No Hands (feat. Roscoe Dash & Wale) – Waka Flocka Flame

10. HeadBand (feat. 2 Chainz) – B.o.B.

11. Needle in the Hay – Elliot Smith

12. Under the Bridge – Red Hot Chili Peppers

13. Visions of Gideon – Sufjan Stevens

14. raingurl – Yaeji

15. I Follow Rivers – The Magician Remix – Lykke Li

16. Beamer Boy – Lil Peep

17. Broken Smile (My All) – Lil Peep

18. Castle With No Light (Intro) – Teddy

19. Depressed + But I’m Lit. – Cold Hart

20. Buy U a Drank (feat. Yung Joc) – T-Pain

21. Crank That (Soulja Boy) – Soulja Boy

22. Run It! – Chris Brown

23. Bottoms Up (feat. Nicki Minaj) – Trey Songz

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @clemono2 from Unsplash.com.

Lucie Turkel is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lucie.turkel@uconn.edu