Town Hall for International Students to be held April 14

0
0
exc-5e8276cdf3015e79aca40c9c

University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas will be holding a virtual town hall to address questions and concerns of international students on Tuesday, April 14, he announced in an email sent Saturday night. 

The town hall will take place from 2 to 3 p.m., and department representatives from Global Affairs, Enrollment and Student Affairs will be present during the town hall, Katsouleas said. 

“Regardless where our students come from, UConn will always be your home. That’s why I hope you’ll join me, along with my colleagues from Global Affairs, Enrollment and Student Affairs, at the virtual town hall dedicated to your questions and concerns,” Katsouleas said in the email. 

In this photo taken on Friday, Sept. 6, 2019, President Thomas C. Katsouleas held office hours at the Benton where students could come speak to him. The President will hold a town hall for international students on April 4, acknowledging an increase in harassment and violence against Asian and Asian Americans reported in the news.  Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

In this photo taken on Friday, Sept. 6, 2019, President Thomas C. Katsouleas held office hours at the Benton where students could come speak to him. The President will hold a town hall for international students on April 4, acknowledging an increase in harassment and violence against Asian and Asian Americans reported in the news. Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

Many UConn international students have not been able to return home and are still being housed at the Storrs campus, according to the email. 

“And while none of us has been left unaffected by the pandemic, it has fallen especially hard on our international students, a number of whom have remained on the Storrs campus and elsewhere in the state, and who, like many others, are unable to return home and are worried about family and friends thousands of miles away,” Katsouleas said. 

The president also addressed reports of harassment and threats against the Asian-American population in the email, aware that the topic may be brought up during the town hall. 

“I have been deeply disturbed by reports from around the country of harassment and threats directed against Asian Americans and Asian visitors to the U.S. in the wake of the pandemic, and against people from China in particular,” Katsouleas said. “That this is amplified rather than quelled by reckless rhetoric from some prominent public leaders is even more upsetting.” 

Students are encouraged to send in comments or concerns to the UConn communications email communications@uconn.edu

“I want you to know how deeply we care for you, and we want to hear from our international student population directly about your experiences and how you are holding up,” Katsouleas said in the email. “This will also be an opportunity to ask any questions you have about the University’s response to the pandemic and what resources are available to you.” 

If You Like This Read:

Refunds, Housing and Essential Employees: Katsouleas holds virtual coronavirus town hall 

May Commencement, Move Out Procedure and Scaling Back: Katsouleas holds second virtual coronavirus town hall

Amanda Kilyk is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at amanda.kilyk@uconn.edu.