Campus Couture: A deep dive into dad fashion

0
7

Campus Correspondent Caroline LeCour and her father, Michael, sit on a wall. LeCour takes a deep dive into dad fashion through the lens of her father in this week’s Campus Couture.  Photo courtesy of Caroline LeCour

Campus Correspondent Caroline LeCour and her father, Michael, sit on a wall. LeCour takes a deep dive into dad fashion through the lens of her father in this week’s Campus Couture. Photo courtesy of Caroline LeCour

While being cooped up in my house all week, I noticed that now was the perfect opportunity to finally get some answers on one of life’s biggest mysteries: dad fashion. Why do they always hike up white tube socks? Are khaki shorts where it’s really at? Is Jerry Seinfeld their only fashion inspiration? 

My dad’s work has requested he work from home, so he is here with me. In turn, I am able to have full access to his words of fashion wisdom. My mission was simple, and I jumped right into action. 

I first took a forward approach, where I asked him basic questions that anyone would want to know. When asked about why it is a universal dad-move to wear white New Balance sneakers, he replied that they were “comfortable and a good deal.” 

My dad also listed a handful of stylists and fashion publications where he has taken inspiration from, such as Gentleman’s Gazette, The Modest Man, Real Men Real Style and The Bond Experience. 

“I like the ones with Daniel Craig: ‘Casino Royale’ and ‘Spectre,’” he said. 

Next, it was time to get a perspective on the field. I noted carefully my dad’s clothing choices during the week, especially since we were all stuck in the house with nowhere to go. 

The first outfit that caught my eye was more on the casual side. For this outfit, my dad sported a dark brown flannel shirt by Woolrich, with an oversized pair of blue corduroy pants that Cavetown fans would get a kick out of. To complete the ensemble, a pair of chunky black work boots. When confronted on if this was a personal choice or a universal “dad fit,” my dad commented on the outfit saying, “This is a work outfit. It’s universal because it’s whatever you don’t care about, no matter if you get paint or dirt on it or whatever.” 

>
Although my dad mostly kept the secrets to dad fashion to himself, a small grasp has been formed on their inspiration behind it all, and not all dads follow the same formula. My dad left me with some perspective: Keep in mind that all dads alike were the OGs of current fashion trends today.

The next outfit that piqued my interest was Saturday’s. Recently, my dad has been going on his own fashion journey: Very frequently, he visits my room to show off either a pair of “fresh white Adidas Superstars” or a sweater like the “cream wool sweater that Chris Evans wore in ‘Knives Out.’” This was one of these days. Although we were still all staying inside the house, my dad was souped up in a pair of olive green chinos, a black Henley shirt and some tan suede chukka boots. My dad commented this outfit was crafted abiding by a “monochromatic color scheme” and that he also got some aid from some YouTube videos. 

“I didn’t always wear dad clothes. All the stuff that comes back, we had,” my dad said. “I had all the latest fashions back in the day.”

If You Like This Read:

Going Online: How to share your ‘fits at Zoom University

UConn Project Fashion showcased local designers at third-ever pop-up shop

Caroline LeCour is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at caroline.lecour@uconn.edu.