UConn Health Doctor arrested for coughing on patients

0
0
exc-5e83e2bfbd7a30515099c18a

Cory Edgar, a UConn Health doctor from West Hartford, was arrested Mar. 24 on misdemeanor charges for breach of peace. 

UConn Health has a facility in Downtown Storrs. Cory Edgar, a UConn Health doctor from West Hartford, was arrested Mar. 24 on misdemeanor charges for breach of peace. Witnesses say the doctor intentionally coughed on two other medical employees.  Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

UConn Health has a facility in Downtown Storrs. Cory Edgar, a UConn Health doctor from West Hartford, was arrested Mar. 24 on misdemeanor charges for breach of peace. Witnesses say the doctor intentionally coughed on two other medical employees. Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

“UCPD officers were dispatched to the UConn Health outpatient surgery clinic for a report of a doctor deliberately coughing on and hugging nurses, causing them a substantial amount of alarm,” the police report said. 

UConn Health spokesperson Jennifer Walker said the involved doctor is in good health and is not confirmed nor believed to have COVID-19.

Witnesses say he intentionally coughed on two other medical employees at the health center in close proximity, and the witnesses and medical workers believed he was purposely disregarding space and safety concerns involving the Coronavirus pandemic.  

Edgar was released from police custody and issued a misdemeanor summons, Walker said.

Any UConn Health employee with an indication of illness is asked to stay home. During this pandemic, all employees are screened for symptoms prior to entering the premises. 

Walker said the doctor has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the review process at UConn Health. 

Naiela Suleiman is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at naiela.suleiman@uconn.edu.