Spring Streaming: New to Netflix for April

0
1

We’re in it for the long haul folks, with social distancing being recommended across the country until at least the end of the month. Luckily, Netflix has added some new movies and TV shows for us to hunker down with in the meantime.

Netflix originals include “Coffee and Kareem,” a comedy in which 12-year old Kareem seeks to scare away his mother’s police officer boyfriend (Look familiar? It’s Andy from “The Office!), but instead, entrenches them in a secret network of criminal activity. “Never Have I Ever,” a series created by the radiant Mindy Kaling based on her own childhood, is described by Netflix as a “coming of age comedy series about the life of a modern first-generation Indian-American.” The show, which will bring some much-needed representation to the industry, will be available on April 27. On April 10, rom-com “Love Wedding Repeat” with Sam Claflin and Olivia Munn features two classic tropes of the genre: a “Groundhog Day” scenario, and weddings. 

If you’re looking to binge some classic, older movie series, you have your pick with the sci-fi powerhouse “Matrix” trilogy and the buddy cop “Lethal Weapon” films. If you enjoy the comedy theme of the latter, “The Hangover” will also be available for those missing Nickel or movie night with their friends. If you enjoy the intense action of the first that requires just a little bit more thinking, mystery TV series “Sherlock Holmes” is available to watch starting today. For those seeking some light-hearted romantic comedies like “Love Wedding Repeat,” look out for Ryan Reynolds’ “Just Friends” and the risqué “40 Days and 40 Nights.”

“Molly’s Game” and “The Social Network” are two excellent biographical films that have garnered critical attention. The former is based off of the memoir of Molly Bloom, a world-class skier who also happened to run an underground poker empire for Hollywood stars, big-name athletes and the Russian mob. Watch it for the crime and action, stay for the beautiful Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba, who stars as Bloom’s lawyer. Another Aaron Sorkin-led movie, based on “The Accidental Game,” paints the story of Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg as an ambitious, arrogant eventual-billionaire at the time of the platform’s inception.

If you want to revisit a Dreamworks staple before the minions became an annoying trend, “Despicable Me” will be available to watch as a heartwarming option. Another animated comedy, “The Willoughbys,” can be a nice follow-up. Looking for something a little bit older? “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” which tackles some tough topics but reminds us of the friendship we might be missing, can be streamed starting today.

Still looking for something else? Check out this full list of what’s coming to Netflix.

Hollianne Lao is a staff writer and the social media manager for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.