Turning to poetry at times of anxiety

0
4

A poem titled "There is Beauty in” by campus correspondent Lesly Nerette.  Photo courtesy of Lesly Nerette/The Daily Campus

A poem titled “There is Beauty in” by campus correspondent Lesly Nerette. Photo courtesy of Lesly Nerette/The Daily Campus

In trying times, what is it that you do to quell anxiety? Do you cook, clean, go for a run? Or are you the type of person to leave inhibitions behind? If so, look into poetry! While the word itself may seem intimidating, there is more to it than you think. Poetry can be seen as a puzzle, but instead of solving it you leave the interpretation to other readers. You can put meaning to poetry based on anything within your life: memories of the past, current events, the future and even fictional scenarios.

While there are traditional structures of poetry, you have the freedom to write as you see fit. With free structure, you can also write about how you are feeling at any given time: in times of sadness, happiness or in dark and scary times. Poetry only requires a pen and paper or laptop; it is just up to you to get to writing!

Today I wanted to share a bit of my own poetry with you all. The title of this poem is “There is Beauty in.” It speaks on finding beauty in aspects other than physicalities. As we grow, we may let our eyes speak for us, belittle progress made from our past or find difficulty in healing from what burdens us. I wrote this poem in order to tackle these subliminal issues we deal with constantly. There is beauty in everything, but in order to find it before gallivanting, find it within every crevice of yourself first.

There is Beauty in

Be aware of your vanity

Every Scar

Resembles that of a beauty mark

Your past hangs high

In the Gardener’s hall of fame

Your inhibitions

Make a fine weed killer

Bludgeoned dreams

Act as motivation

Food for elevation

Vanity doesn’t lie in physicalities

There is beauty in

What reposes with the emotional & ontological

Your mental and spiritual garden

Allow yourself to take root and flourish

– There is so much more to show, than tell 

L.N

Lesly Nerette is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lesly.nerette_jr@uconn.edu.