Plastic bag ban lifted in Mansfield

0
4
exc-5e83d4ad5db2cb0f67bacdef

Mansfield Manager John Carrington suspends the fee on plastic bags and asks baggers to not handle customer’s reusable bags.  Photo by     Juan Pablo Serrano Arenas     from     Pexels

Mansfield Manager John Carrington suspends the fee on plastic bags and asks baggers to not handle customer’s reusable bags. Photo by Juan Pablo Serrano Arenas from Pexels

Interim Mansfield Town Manager John Carrington suspended Chapter 132 of the Mansfield code, the Ordinance Regulating Plastic Checkout Bags, on Friday in response to the continued spread of coronavirus.

Tasha Smith, the executive assistant to the town manager, said the town manager acted in accordance with Gov. Lamont’s recent Executive Order 7N calling the safety of retail workers “a primary concern during this public health emergency.”

>
The Governor suspended the fee on plastic bags and also said that baggers could not be ordered to handle a customer’s reusable bags

“The Governor suspended the fee on plastic bags and also said that baggers could not be ordered to handle a customer’s reusable bags,” Smith said. “Baggers were fearing getting COVID-19 from a customer’s reusable bags.”

Lamont’s Executive Order 7N stipulated that retailers are not required to collect the 10 cent fee on plastic bags until May 15, 2020 and grants workers the opportunity to decline handling a customer’s reusable bag.

“In these stressful times, the Lamont Administration is responding to the concerns of our retail employees, who are enabling continued operation of critical services, by taking steps to provide flexibility that are grounded in expert assessment of public health risk,” the order said.

Carrington’s order temporarily suspended the Mansfield “Bring Your Own Bag Ordinance,” which went into effect March 13, 2019, until the end of the State of Emergency declared by Gov. Lamont on March 10.

Related Content:

Mansfield businesses no longer offer plastic bags to customers 

Mansfield Town Council votes to ban plastic bags

Conner Caridad is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.caridad@uconn.edu.