Isolated? No problem. Easy recipes to make when you can’t go outside

0
0
exc-5e8a77d894f18a065275b4cf

A Life writer shares three recipes to make as she makes time in between her classes and downtime to get her bake on.  Photo by    Hannah Busing    on    Unsplash

A Life writer shares three recipes to make as she makes time in between her classes and downtime to get her bake on. Photo by Hannah Busing on Unsplash

A lot of people are bored in the house and in the house bored right now. Trust me, I was there too. I made a TikTok and just made that reference. Instead of bleaching my clothes (that could result in a mess) or cutting my own bangs (please no, put the scissors down, unless you’re a hairdresser, then go for it), I went to my kitchen and got creative. 

A lot of people might not know I like to cook, and I especially love baking. So I try to take advantage of having access to a stocked kitchen when I am home. Between classes and when I’m bored, I use what is available in my kitchen and on the internet to get creative. Here are some of the simple dishes I’ve made.

Disclaimer: Please be responsible when cooking or baking anything. Do not leave any appliances unattended.

Coconut banana bread

This recipe was a winner in the Hickey house. After noticing the numerous ripe bananas on my counter, mixing a few recipes and improvising with the ingredients I had available at my house, the recipe for this soft sweet treat came to be.

Recipe number one to try out while at quarantined at home: Coconut banana bread.  Photo by    Whitney Wright    on    Unsplash   . Thumbnail photo courtesy of    Izabelle Acheson    on    Unsplash   .

Recipe number one to try out while at quarantined at home: Coconut banana bread. Photo by Whitney Wright on Unsplash. Thumbnail photo courtesy of Izabelle Acheson on Unsplash.

Ingredients: 

1 cup granulated sugar

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

2 eggs

3 ripe bananas

1 tablespoon milk

1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar

1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon of baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

½ cup of shredded coconut (and a little extra to sprinkle on top)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit and butter a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.

2. Take a large mixing bowl and mix the butter and sugar until fluffy, add eggs one at a time beating the mix in between.

3. In a separate bowl, mash the three peeled bananas with a potato masher until liquid, there should be little banana bits.

4. Add the cinnamon-sugar and the milk to the mashed banana. 

5. In a third bowl, mix the flour, sugar salt, baking powder and baking soda.

6. Add the banana mixture to the first large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.

7. Add the flour bowl to the large mixture and mix well.

8. Add the shredded coconut and vanilla extract, mix well.

9. Pour the mixture into the pan, add the shredded coconut on top.

10.  Bake the bread for 80 minutes. To make sure the bread is done, stick a toothpick in the middle when you pull it out of the oven. If it comes out clean, it’s done. If it is still liquid in the middle, put the bread in for a few more minutes.

11.  Let the bread cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring the bread to a plate.

Brownie Brittle

I was craving brownie brittle when I decided to try this one out. Thanks to the internet I found out it is possible and could be done with a box mix. If you haven’t tried it, it’s crunchy brownies, tasting exactly like brownie crust (the best part of the brownie).

Make your very own brownie brittle using this simple recipe.  Photo by    Iva Rajović    on    Unsplash   .

Make your very own brownie brittle using this simple recipe. Photo by Iva Rajović on Unsplash.

Ingredients:

1 box of Brownie mix

Directions:

1. Follow the instructions needed to make the batter on the box (I used Ghiradelli’s dark chocolate brownie mix).

2. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

3. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.

4. Pour and spread the brownie mix, I used a spatula for this part, you want the brownie brittle to be thin.

5. Bake in the over for 5-7 minutes and check to see if they’re done. (Optional: turn oven off and put the pan back in the oven for two minutes for extra crisp.)

6. Wait a few minutes, cut pieces while the brittle is still warm, or wait until it is completely cool and rip it apart. 

Tortillas

This last recipe I came across because I was bored and I wanted tortillas. So I woke up one day and went downstairs and made tortillas. Granted it was my first time making them and the tortillas did not come out perfectly round, but overall, they were not bad. After I finished making them I sliced them into triangles, placed them in a tray and cooked them in the oven for a few extra minutes and made them into chips. The best part? This recipe only requires four ingredients, which you may already have.

Ingredients:

For a savory snack, try making tortillas.  Photo by    Leighann Blackwood    on    Unsplash   .

For a savory snack, try making tortillas. Photo by Leighann Blackwood on Unsplash.

2 cups of flour

½ teaspoon of salt

¾ cup of water

3 tablespoons of olive oil

Directions:

1. Mix flour and salt.

2. Mix in the water and oil.

3. Place the dough on a floured surface and knead the dough until smooth, adding flour or water as needed.

4. Put the dough in a clean bowl and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.

5. Divide the dough into (the recipe says it makes eight) pieces and roll the dough into flat circles.

6. In a skillet (I used cast-iron) cook the tortillas one minute on each side.

Related Content:

Kid Cuisine offers a (much-appreciated) blast from the past for this writer

Melissa’s Menu: Restaurant favorites at home

Olivia Hickey is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at olivia.hickey@uconn.edu. She tweets @oliviahickeytv.