Tips and tricks on how to make and save money during quarantine

0
0
exc-5e8a7a7a5803e9387ff385ba

As the coronavirus pandemic continues to leave its mark on history, millions of Americans are now stuck at home without a job. Earlier this week, The New York Times reported that the unemployment rate in America is close to 13% and is expected to rise in the coming weeks. 

This staggering statistic, which is similar to unemployment rates during the Great Depression, has left many people stressed and anxious about how they are going to meet their day-to-day living expenses.   

Here are a few ways you can make and save money while in quarantine. 

Clean out your room and sell old clothes and belongings

A productive way to utilize your free time at home is to clean out your room. Many people are surprised to find how many clothes, shoes and accessories are in their closet that they no longer wear. Sites like Poshmark and eBay are perfect platforms for selling these items. 

Become an online tutor 

Now that schools are closed, online tutors are in high demand to help students complete their schoolwork remotely. Many parents are working from home and struggling to balance their own workload while also helping their young children. Online tutors can help alleviate this stress and offer up a few hours of their day to help students complete their work. It is a win-win situation for everyone involved!  

Working for in-demand food and grocery delivery services, like Uber Eats, is a great way to make money during the coronavirus pandemic.  Photo by    Robert Anasch    on    Unsplash   . Thumbnail photo courtesy of    Matt Ragland    on    Unsplash   .

Working for in-demand food and grocery delivery services, like Uber Eats, is a great way to make money during the coronavirus pandemic. Photo by Robert Anasch on Unsplash. Thumbnail photo courtesy of Matt Ragland on Unsplash.

Get a part time job 

Essential businesses are in desperate need of workers. Food and grocery delivery services, such as Instacart and Uber Eats, are great opportunities to capitalize on, especially for those who have recently lost their job or need some extra cash. Instacart announced that they are planning to hire an additional 300,000 full-service shoppers over the next three months to account for the increase in grocery delivery service demand. 

Take surveys 

There are many websites that pay people to take surveys. Survey Junkie is a top-rated, reputable site that has reported a monthly earning potential of up to $200. Make sure to do some research into which sites are legit to avoid potential scams. 

Cancel unused memberships and subscriptions 

Many gyms have already placed a hold on accounts and are not collecting membership fees, but it is a good idea to check in with your gym to ensure that you are not being charged any unnecessary fees while you are unable to use the facilities. 

Other subscriptions like clothing packages, such as Stitch Fix, or lifestyle boxes like FabFitFun, are not that necessary when you are staying at home all day. Consider cancelling any unused memberships or subscriptions to save money. 

Making your own food is a major way to save on costs during quarantine.  Photo by    Alyson McPhee    on    Unsplash   .

Making your own food is a major way to save on costs during quarantine. Photo by Alyson McPhee on Unsplash.

Cook your own food

It is important to continue supporting small businesses during times like these. However, take-out food costs add up quickly. Instead, stock up on food from the grocery store and try your hand in the kitchen. This is the perfect time to experiment with new recipes and cook homemade meals.  

These are just a few of the many ways you can make and save money while staying at home. Although many people are fearful of job security and the current state of the economy, it is important to get creative and be wise with your money. 

Related Content:

Roundtable: How are The Daily Campus editors spending quarantine?

Quarantine And Mental Health: Coping with the coronavirus pandemic

Emma Gehr is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.gehr@uconn.edu.