Feel Good Friday: UConn club raises money to help children in foster care celebrate birthdays

0
3

UConn’s Confetti for Kids is raising money to help children in foster care. The organization is hoping to raise $350 so these children can celebrate their birthdays in these difficult times.  Screenshot from Confetti For Kids Facebook.

UConn’s Confetti for Kids is raising money to help children in foster care. The organization is hoping to raise $350 so these children can celebrate their birthdays in these difficult times. Screenshot from Confetti For Kids Facebook.

Confetti for Kids, a University of Connecticut club which fundraises in order to buy children in foster care birthday presents, is continuing to raise money remotely via a GoFundMe webpage amidst the university closure in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. 

“Confetti for Kids is a philanthropy organization that benefits children that grew up in the foster care system [or do] not have a stable family life,” according to their UConntact webpage description.  

Jennifer Field, the organization’s president, explained that the club hosts fundraisers throughout the school year and uses the money to “purchase birthday presents for children in the CT Heart Gallery, a special branch of the foster care system for children with special needs.” 

According to their Facebook page, some of the fundraisers hosted by the organization this past school year included a Christmas gift drive and a Valentine’s Day flower sale. 

“Our latest event was a St. Patrick’s Day-themed game called ‘Coin in a Cup,’” Field said. “Participants guessed how many chocolate gold coins were in a cup, and the person who was the closest won a basket of green-themed snacks.” 

Field, a fourth-semester biomedical engineering major, said that the GoFundMe page was set up in order to help celebrate the children that have birthdays during the spring. 

The club has previously fundraised money for Christmas presents, Valentine’s Day gifts and a St. Patrick’s Day party. They are a very worthy cause on their way to another incredible feat.  Screenshot from Confetti for Kids’ GoFundMe.

The club has previously fundraised money for Christmas presents, Valentine’s Day gifts and a St. Patrick’s Day party. They are a very worthy cause on their way to another incredible feat. Screenshot from Confetti for Kids’ GoFundMe.

“Our next in-person event will be in the fall since school is closed for the semester, but we set up a GoFundMe account to help make up for the funds we would have raised this spring so we can still buy presents for the kids with spring birthdays,” Field said. 

Field described another fun memory with the organization, where they not only celebrated the children’s birthdays with gifts, but ice cream sundaes as well. 

“My favorite memory has been meeting the kids and giving them their gifts in person,” Field said. “In December we had a party with ice cream sundaes and a puppy, and gave them over $1,000 worth of gifts!” 

Field describes participating in the club and giving back to the children as a rewarding and heartwarming experience. 

“The most rewarding part of this club is giving back to kids that are less fortunate than me,” Field said. “These kids don’t have a steady family and don’t get birthday presents, so being able to give them something special and let them know that people are thinking of them is really heartwarming.” 

Related Content:

Feel Good Friday: Chicks hatching at UConn Extension Center shown in Facebook livestreams

Feel Good Friday: Students look to start consignment store on campus 

Amanda Kilyk is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at amanda.kilyk@uconn.edu.